IPN message not being generated

manxaura
Contributor
Contributor

Platform: PayPal Developer

Merchant ID: W5SFCJ8BSNTBL (default account created and previously worked)

Merchant ID: LYPDLX8GCK62C (new account created to determine what has gone wrong)

I have the issue that IPNs are not being generated at all by the PayPal sandbox environment. Payments are being successfully made by the sandbox Personal account and payments are being successfully received by the sandbox Business account.

On the Summary page of the sandbox Business account, all payments received are listed (including those where no IPN msg was generated).

On the IPN history page, specifically for Merchant ID: W5SFCJ8BSNTBL, when a search is carried out for IPNs in the past 24 hours, the message “No IPN messages were found for the past 24 hours” (1 and 2 Feb 2020) shows up. This inspite of multiple transactions having been carried out in the same past 24 hour period. All the test payments are in the Summary page of the sandbox Business account - none have failed and therefore, these transactions should have generated an IPN.

Note that IPN messages were previously generated (the last successful one on 19 Jan 2020) – I re-sent one of these successful IPN messages and it communicated fine with my website. It is important to note that the whole system worked fine previously and there were no issues at all. It is only the transactions that have been recently carried out in the past 24 hours that are not generating any IPN message at all. I have done extensive testing now and am confident that it has nothing to do with an incorrect IPN notification URL (tested with IPN simulator multiple times and re-sent a previously generated IPN) or a failure to enable IPN Message delivery. I am now quite sure that this has to do with a failure by the PayPal sandbox environment to generate an IPN and not the failure of a generated IPN to communicate with my website.

To reiterate, the transactions are successful – all recent transactions are listed and produce Transaction IDs. However, when the Transaction ID is copied into the IPN History search form, the results indicate that the transaction does not exist – meaning, no IPN message was generated.

As an aside, looking on the Summary page (Recent Activity) of the sandbox Business account, all Payments listed will indicate “Unclaimed” even when they have been accepted and show as being “Completed” in the Transaction Details page. I am not sure if this is just how it is in the sandbox account and if this is connected with the failure of the IPN messages to be generated.

Also, whilst I do not believe that this issue has anything to do with my website (which uses Wordpress), I have turned off all plugins that deal with security.

Hopefully someone might be able to look into this and stop me from going mental trying to work it out 🙂

Many thanks

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin

Hello,

Unfortunately this is a known issue at the moment.

Please follow this thread to be updated when the issue is resolved.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

MTS_Justin

Hello,

Unfortunately this is a known issue at the moment.

Please follow this thread to be updated when the issue is resolved.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Thanks !

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!
Login to Me Too

Pland
New Community Member

Same Here,

I've been trying to set up the ipn-listner several times (and it is running perfectly with Postman), but no reply from the sandbox API.

There was mentioned that the problem should have been solved and that there is a solution, however I'm still running into problems and I cannot find the solution in the chat.

Can anyone offer some help?

many thanks,

Pland

Login to Me Too

manxaura
Contributor
Contributor

@Pland,

Not sure if you have followed the link in the response by @MTS_Justin, but it takes you to this thread . It would appear that the issue is half resolved - the IPN is once again being generated but takes an extended amount of time. They are still working to fully resolve it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.