IPN Simulator issue

CB2018
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has sent us emails a few times over the past several months informing us that we still need to update our IPNPB code to https before June.  However, when I would use the IPN simulator to test our existing listener (without https), it would always return a message of "IPN was sent and the handshake was verified." This was puzzling, since my understanding was that the sandbox only accepted https postbacks.  However, yesterday when I tested it, the simulator kept reporting "internal server error" even though I had made no changes to our site, so I assumed it was a paypal issue.  Today, the response I always get from the IPN simulator is "IPN was not sent, and the handshake was not verified. Review your information.", regardless of whether I put my listener in test mode or live mode--  in fact, the same response occurs regardless of what IPN handler URL I put into the simulator!  I would think that it should report something like "IPN was sent, but the handshake was not verified...".  Is there a problem with the simulator?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hello,

This issue has now been resolved.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

MTS_Stefan
Hi there,

Many thanks for that report.
We tested it this morning and indeed, there seems to be an issue with that.
We will raise it internally and have it resolved as quickly as possible.
Login to Me Too

JeannieDM
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any status on this issue, or a place that we can monitor progress?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

There is currently no status update at this time, the issue is being investigated.

Once it's been resolved, I'll post an update to this thread.

Login to Me Too

LucCole
Contributor
Contributor

This is happening to me as well. 

No matter what URL I use for the IPN handler URL or what type of payment simulation it is, it just says "IPN was not sent, and the handshake was not verified. Review your information.

Login to Me Too

user93832
Contributor
Contributor

This is extremely frustrating and after a quick google search it seems to be a recurring issue.  Any ETA?

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

No ETA available - Once the issue is resolved, I'll post an update in this thread

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hello,

This issue has now been resolved.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Login to Me Too

CB2018
Contributor
Contributor

That's great--  now back to the original intent: testing IPN post back code.  Here's the issue I'm experiencing:  whether I test with my old code that doesn't do HTTPS post back or my new code which does, the IPN simulator always gives the same response: "IPN was sent and the handshake was verified."  I expected the IPN simulator would only work for the new security requirements, that's the whole reason I wanted to use it.

According to the Merchant Security Upgrade Testing FAQ (https://www.paypal-notice.com/en/Merchant-Security-Upgrade-Testing/😞

When can I test my integration?

Now. The PayPal Sandbox testing environment has been fully updated and can be used to verify that your integration is ready. Review the individual topic pages on the site for more details about how to test your systems and verify their readiness.

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

The IPN simulator only tests sending an IPN, it doesn't confirm if your posting back for validation or if that postback was conducted via TLSv1.2

You should check your webserver logs for the postback attempt and if it was accepted by the sandbox server. If it was accepted and you receive either a "VALID" or "INVALID" response, you then know you were able to establish a connection secured via TLSv1.2

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.