Do orders created for capture expire?

dhartley91
Contributor
Contributor
I'm attempting to integrate PayPal into our system using the /v2/checkout/orders endpoint, but I want to queue up several orders for capture ahead of time that our customers will pay over several months (possibly up to 24-36 months), sort of like a payment schedule. Do orders created this way ever expire? My testing seemed to show something is amiss, because if I queue up 3 orders, and pay 2 of them over the next few hours, it all works fine. However, I attempted to pay the 3rd one the following day and received an "INVALID_RESOURCE_ID" error. It's like the order doesn't exist, even though it was created with the other 2, and I know things would've worked if I attempted to pay it the previous day. Do orders expire? How long do they "live"? Keep in mind these are orders created for CAPTURE, not AUTHORIZE.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

not_here

Hi @dhartley91,

In order to achieve your end goal, we'd suggest you'd use Reference Transactions. This product needs to be enabled by our teams so you'll need to Contact Us.

Hope this helps.

Christina 

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Login to Me Too

dhartley91
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Christina, Thanks for the reply, but the documentation says that reference transactions have been deprecated and I should use smart buttons with the orders api for new integrations. I've already done a bit of work to that end, so I'd hate to have to redo things to implement a deprecated api. As it is, I have everything working, it's just that orders I created previously could not be found for some reason, and I wasn't sure if that was a limitation of the sandbox environment or the orders api itself that was sort of expiring the orders? Do you know if orders have a lifespan defined somewhere, and if so, can I extend them somehow?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.