Activate the auto return to merchant on a sandbox account

StormCreative
Contributor
Contributor

HELP!

OK so I havelogged in to PayPal Developer and have three accounts setup with different email and passwords. I have my website setup to access the sandbox.paypal site to test payment processing. I can create an order on my dev website, transfer to sandbox paypal, make a payment and then get the paypal success screen with the return to merchant button. What I would like is to automatically return to my website on successful payment.

I've read I can do this in my 'normal' paypal account in my profile settings, but this requires a return URL. I canot do this currently as the dev site is not completed and our current live website relies on PayPal for legitimate payments and orders.

How can I setup the sandbox paypal to auto return to my dev site?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi @StormCreative

You cannot use production account credentials to sign into sandbox accounts.

You will need to create a sandbox account (do this via PayPal Developer) and once it's created, login to the account at "www.sandbox.paypal.com" and modify the auto return value

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

MTS_Justin
Hi @StormCreative

You need to enable Auto Return within the sandbox account which is processing the payment request (ie. the merchant or seller account)

You enable Auto Return in the same location in a sandbox account as you do in a production account.

Shortcut URL : https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-website-payments

Login to Me Too

StormCreative
Contributor
Contributor

MTS_Justin

Thanks for your reply. I'm still confused. I can login to:

www.paypal.com and see the my account settings etc including the Auto return and URL box. This is currently being used by the live website and processing transactions.

When I try and login to www.sandbox.paypal.com using exactly the same merchant details as the live PayPal it does not allow me to log in.

Do i need to setup a sandbox account from the live PayPal?

Login to Me Too
Solved

MTS_Justin
Hi @StormCreative

You cannot use production account credentials to sign into sandbox accounts.

You will need to create a sandbox account (do this via PayPal Developer) and once it's created, login to the account at "www.sandbox.paypal.com" and modify the auto return value

Login to Me Too

cesar_marinho
New Community Member

Same problem with me.

I updated the value of "Return url" in my sandbox yesterday, but nothing happens.

I need this to complete the payment flow.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

MTS_Justin
Hello,

I've tested the functionality of Auto Return today within our sandbox environment and using a Buy Now button and specifying a profile-based auto return URL, I am being redirected to the chosen return URL once the payment has been completed.

Thanks !

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.