new to selling on paypal want to do transaction right......afraid to get scammed....

tonda2
New Community Member

hi paypal world - i'm selling 2 mountain bikes for $3600 including shipping from me in California to TX Buyer -

hes moving so fast on the transaction i'm getting gun shy.....

he sent me the money via paypal now i just have to ship the bikes to him 

is there any way he can scam me once the bikes are shipped? 

thanks for replying i cant afford to loose my expensive bikes & have him possibly retract the funds? Can he do that? Or other way to scam? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tonda2 

Buyers have 180 days to file a dispute if there is an issue with their order: Item Not Received (INR), Unauthorized Transaction (UT) or Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). Since you have received the money and you see a record of payment in your PayPal account, you can go ahead and ship the bikes. Ensure you pack the bikes properly so they won't be damaged in transit. Ship to the address on the payment details with tracking and signature confirmation since the order is over $750. These are additional requirements under PayPal Seller Protection program. You may also further independently protect yourself by insuring the bikes.

Sellers are responsible for providing proof of delivery with Item Not Received or Unauthorized transaction claims. Sellers are not protected from SNADs unless the nature of the problem is not considered "significantly not as described" by PayPal aka buyer's remorse reasons and not anything you did wrong. Even if you win a PayPal dispute, the buyer can dispute via their financial institution and that incurs a chargeback/reversal fee in addition to the amount disputed.

There are risks in selling, online or brick n' mortar. People change their minds, tries to get a discount, damage occurring in transit or even steal. It comes with the territory. So don't sell what you can't afford to lose unless its cash n' carry. If you're concerned about scams, then you can always refund the buyer (PayPal doesn't refund their PayPal fees so that comes out of your pocket).

I'll tell anyone that if you're new to selling, start with something of low to moderate value to get a hang of things, develop best practices, then move up to big ticket items.

What is the PayPal Seller Protection Policy and what items aren’t covered?

What is proof of delivery and how can I provide that to my customers?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.