in dispute being asked to pay postage for return when I’m not at fault!

KindredSpirit1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, I opened a dispute case when an eBay seller sent me a wrong item. They were very unresponsive to my messages. It has been decided I should return the item for a refund - fine, but I’m being asked to pay the shipping cost or else the case will be closed. I can see no option to dispute the decision before the case is closed. Why should I pay the return postage for a mistake not on my part and be out of pocket? Any ideas? Thanks
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KindredSpirit1 

If you open an Ebay dispute for item received but not as described and wins then Ebay request the seller to pay for postage by sending you a postage label.

However if you open a Paypal dispute for item received but not as described and win then  >>>

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KindredSpirit1
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks so much! So annoying but I’ve now activated the refunded-returns. I may cancel the case here and go through eBay. The postage cost is a 6th of the price!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.