Wrongly got 1099K this year (2021) for 2020 activity. How to contact Paypal to change!!!

eBsRLB
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal sent us a 1099K when they should NOT have done so.
The policy is over 200 transactions AND over $20,000.
We only had 180'ish transactions.
This is a huge mistake on Paypal's side. 

I suspect the system they used wrongly created 1099-Ks for people.
Paypal sent 1099Ks for all income regardless of the transaction count.
How do we get help with this ???
They must tell the leadership at paypal right away and have them send out correct 1099K's to people.

Our transactions were only 109trans per the 1099K sent which is well under the count.
The actual transactions on our account is about 180trans

Please advise

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

eBsRLB
Contributor
Contributor

Soooo, ... I found out that my particular state changed the law last year, regardless of PayPal's policy, my state requires a 1099-K of any sale above $1000.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

terripwilliams
Contributor
Contributor

WHOOPS! I WAS incorrect. The 1099 from PayPal is correct.

I am also off by thousands of dollars. I don't understand. This is the first year that PAYPAL has created a report for me. And my clients told me to check with paypay for the 1099. Now the 1099 that PayPal has created is off by 50,000? 

Login to Me Too

rmc444
New Community Member

I do not own or operate a business.  I purchased 3 items in 2020 that didn't even total $150 dollars.  Why am I receiving this 1099 tax form and why can't I get an answer from PayPal.  I have sent several emails and tried calling with no luck.  This is my last stop before I take legal action.  Can someone provide me with some information to resolve this issue,  Thanks!

Login to Me Too

rcarl616
Contributor
Contributor

Others including myself are reporting similar situations. Mine is very similar to yours: a 1099-K for 2020 for $4000+ in supposed income, despite the fact I engage in no activities that would produce income. PP says there is a duplicate PP account in my name (same name, address, email, SSN, DOB) which presumably is the source of the income reported to me. I suspect fraud. See similar thread at https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Reporting/1099-K-Form/m-p/2583357

Login to Me Too
Solved

eBsRLB
Contributor
Contributor

Soooo, ... I found out that my particular state changed the law last year, regardless of PayPal's policy, my state requires a 1099-K of any sale above $1000.

Login to Me Too

szk1
New Community Member

Had the same problem. Unfamiliar company's Form 1099K sent to me with gross payment of almost $1.5 million. My address but definitely not my company (wish I had that income last year). Paypal, something's terribly wrong for your records to mess up like this. Super important to fix this!

Login to Me Too

johnjohn56
Contributor
Contributor

i got a 1099 for 38000 dollars all in one month of december lol but not funny.  I have never in 4 years even used paypal.  checked account  says no activity aty all.  checked tax documents in paypal  i have none.  so evidently this is a scam by a third party.  Need to make sure this is not on file with IRS, could be damaging since i am on foodstamps and temporarily unemployed and on unemployment

Login to Me Too

ECINC
New Community Member

I also was no where near the 200 transaction limit and never received one before, HOWEVER after reading the 1099-K it states this...." You have received this form because you have either: (a) accepted payment cards for payments" .....Uh, when did I do this?? I did sign up for ebay's payment service in Nov., but what does that have to do with Paypal and all of the transactions prior to Nov?? If this is conected to ebay forcing sellers to agree to their payment service is is a some major scam.

This is  BS !!

Login to Me Too

Online-User0120
Contributor
Contributor

If you leave in a state where the reporting threshold is lower than the federal one, then you're going to get a 1099K. Even if you were under 200 transactions and less than $20,000. The form reports payments received only. Not payment received. 

You will have to reconcile the amount reported in the 1099K and your sales.

Login to Me Too

mitch757
New Community Member

I got a 1099K for 2020 for a sale I made in 2021.  Approximately $2300.  How do I get this changed to CORRECT YEAR?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.