Taxable goods and services transactions were supposed to be personal payments, what now?

nkrupp87
Contributor
Contributor
So I knew earlier this year that PayPal is now reporting transactions that are listed as "Goods and Services" to the IRS as taxable income if the total amount that you accrue is over $600 in a year. I don't sell anything, I only receive money from my mother on PayPal. I explained to her that if she is going to send me something then she needs to click "friends and family" when sending it so the IRS doesn't consider it taxable income by mistake. Well apparently the majority of the year she has been sending all of her payments to me as "Goods and services" and I just got an email from PayPal saying that since I'm over the $600 threshold they will be sending me the tax form next year and I'll have to report the income as taxable income on my taxes in 2023. Is there a way to relist these transactions? These were not business transactions. All money that I've received on PayPal has been from 1 person (my mother) for personal reasons. These transactions shouldn't be considered taxable income. I'm sure I can't explain that directly to the IRS though. Their going to believe what PayPal tells them. So is there a way to let PayPal know?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Mish22
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem.  I collected donations for a charity that didn't have electronic payment options, so I let people pay me then I turned around and wrote a check to the charity.  It wasn't income for ME!!!  grrrrrrrr

Login to Me Too

DestinyDecade

It happened to me as well. In April, I received money from a friend as a gift and yet I got the same thing. All this did months later made me close up my paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.