Tax ID Requirement For Pass-Through Income

123hld
Contributor
Contributor

I use Paypal as a pass-through for income from selling tickets on Stubhub but I am nowhere near the IRS limits. I have already provided my tax ID to Stubhub because they would be responsible for IRS reporting requirements. I do not understand why Paypal also needs my tax ID in this situation because the income is not derived from Paypal, plus it may make things worse because if I ever do reach the threshold and both Paypal and Stubhub provide 1099's my income could be double-counted. Why does Paypal choose the one size fits all aprroach here and require everyone to submit sensitive tax ID info while threatening our use of these services when in many cases it is not even relevant?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Nick

Hi @123hld,

I know it's frustrating being asked to provide this information. Unfortunately, PayPal's hands are tied and we must collect it comply with government regulation. You can learn more here, Why do I need to confirm my U.S. tax payer status? (paypal.com). I'd recommend reaching out to a tax professional to address your concerns with the double-counted income. 

~Nick
Login to Me Too

123hld
Contributor
Contributor

First, there is no government requirement for Paypal or anyone else to collect this information from every user - only for those who exceed the dollar and/or transaction amounts that would trigger a 1099. The fact that you would be chasing down individual users when they exceed these amounts is far less of a burden than requiring the dominant share of your users to submit sensitive tax ID information when it is not necessary and threatening them with restrictions on their accounts for "non-compliance". Second, the issue of potential duplicate issuance of a 1099 per my example is most certainly a Paypal problem if you choose to do this a a third party pass-through and not the actual payer as is the case with Stubhub or even your sister company eBay. The repercussions of this are not trivial and Paypal should be doing more to identify these potential risks and prevent this from occurring. You have had enough bad press already - do you really want to deal with the ramifications of issuing duplicate 1099's for these payers? This is not at all a "tax professional" issue - it's yours if you fail to prevent it...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.