STATE TAX

StallingsH
Contributor
Contributor

Long time seller here ... we try to discourage all in-state sales ... more trouble than it's worth ... some years, though, a couple of sales are completed and we end up owing (literally) a couple of dollars. Anyway, long story short having an audit by our state ... they want to see all transactions (back about 6 years) WITH ADDRESSES to prove we aren't dodging state sales taxes ... and I don't know where to click to see if it's even possible to compile all this  ... HELP!

Howard at WAXPOETIC

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

PayPal_Randy

@nmcollector and @Teslafan101

I recommend contacting our customer service teams for further assistance.  You can click 'Contact Us' at the bottom of any of our pages to get a phone number to reach us at, or you can contact us on Twitter (https://twitter.com/askpaypal) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PayPal). We would be happy to take a look at what options might be available to you.

- Randy

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Randy  Thank you.  I did just that last Friday before posting here and am waiting for a response.   I will be happy to share a case # privately with you if you wish to follow-up.

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

LET US KNOW how it turns out,if your past history does not have the buyer state code but Paypal does,as it is in his paypal account,does it mean Paypal will have to read every one of your payments and then go read his paypal account to give you his state code?

State audit goes back a few years ?

and the burden is on you to prove most buyers are out of state buyers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

You described the method but it will be a simple join from a programming perspective - no need to do things manually when you have direct access to the underlying data.  🙂

Login to Me Too

Teslafan101
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

agree,writing a quickie program to read both files would be easy,but Paypal should make this feature permanent,as there will be others who sell digital goods and they need that information  

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

Sitting on hold now to check on the status.  Nothing from PayPal for over a week now.  I could not figure out how to find the status on-line so I have no choice but to sit on hold.  I do not trust my phone reception for a call back.  I will post here whatever they tell me.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Randy and anybody else who is interested, boy am I getting the runaround from PayPal support.   Here is a high level summary of what has transpired:

• on 7/26 I submitted case ID PT-7930533 through the PayPal support phone number.  A very nice person named Drew in Arizona told me the reporting team would contact me.
  • on 7/30, after hearing nothing back, I tried to find a way to get the status on-line but could not so I called the phone number again.   I spoke with someone who said it was still pending.
  • Today (8/5) I noticed that there were several email notifications from (this forum will not allow me to include an email address) delivered to my email address on 7/30.  I missed those because I was expecting an email to a different email address.  However, those were simply canned reports that did not provide the information that I needed.
  • today (8/5) I called the phone support number again and was told they could not find the case that I needed to talk to ebay.  After going around and around with a person who would not listen to me she finally figured out what I was looking for and said the issue had already been resolved and I should have been checking my email.  When I explained to her that it was not the information I needed and could I talk to somebody about the status she said I had to reply to the email.  I was very surprised because I figured that email would not be monitored.
  • today (8/5) I did as she said and got a canned response as I expected.
  • today (8/5) I called the customer support number again and did not have to wait very long.  This person is very helpful and said she would escalate my issue.  
  • I am on hold but think this will be a productive escalation - will post status when done
Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

On a related note, when I checked in on 7/30 for a status I asked them what email address I should be monitoring.  I monitored that email address that they gave me but it was the wrong one.

It might be interesting to review the recordings of my various interactions with PayPal support on this matter.  It may actually help you with the training of your customer support representatives for dealing with business customers ...

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

So, right now, a supervisor is telling me I will have to submit a subpoena for that information.  Wow!!!!

Login to Me Too

nmcollector
Contributor
Contributor

I asked if PayPal can provide a summary report that simply states the dollar amount of sales to customers within my State and the dollar amount of sales to customers outside of my state.  This should eliminate any link to individual purchasers and (most likely) would be acceptable to my auditor.  Again, the answer was "no" because that is not a canned report.  I then asked if there is a way that I can request a new canned report since this will probably be of general interest to other PayPal business customers.  The then gave me a link to the technical support team that I can use to submit a request for a new canned report.

I will keep you all posted on the ongoing saga.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.