Received a 1099-K - Didn't meet thresholds? (MA/VT)

Dunroamin3
Contributor
Contributor

$1700 in ebay sales for the year and 52 transactions...

Why the 1099-k...both are WAY below the thresholds...any thoughts...not a busuiness...just and individual

Login to Me Too
108 REPLIES 108

rawbar
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I'm also confused.  I'm under $20K, under 200 transactions, in MA, selling junk and I really didn't think I needed to report cleaning out my basement.  But I received a 1099-K.  That form says it it would only be sent for 200+ transactions and $20K+ but clearly that's not the case.

I read googling around that they do not send a copy of this to the govt because it didn't meet those threshholds?  I don't itemize, I don't run a business, just want to keep my taxes simple and was looking for something specific that says in 2017 they are reporting to the govt unless its 20K/200 transactions.  Not to mention then I have to go back and figure out all the ebay, paypal fees, shipping costs, etc.  It's not worth it to sell anything on eBay if I have to jump through tax hoops come tax time.

Login to Me Too

ajl1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting about the MA/VT thing.  This is totally fxxked up!  I dunno if I still have receipts to prove that I didn't make money on the things I sold.   I'm mad that they have to go after us for cleaning out our closets or just getting rid of things we don't use anymore! 

Login to Me Too

Atheris
New Community Member

I received a 1099-K form this year.

-85 transactions

-WAY less than 20,000 in sales

-Do NOT live in MA/ VT

Called up PayPal and they said they sent it out "because it's required" even though I don't meet ANY of the needed qualifications and to contact my accountant for more information.

Any help? 

Login to Me Too

Dana7777
New Community Member

I don't understand why I just received a 1099k when I only made $828.00 last year with only 95 total transactions for the year. Does anyone have any idea thansk

Login to Me Too

Dana7777
New Community Member

I should state that this  aws through Paypal  being the  third party processor. Paypal sent me the form. I looked on my account and there are no tax documents to download for 2017, yet I just received this 1099k  in the mail.

Login to Me Too

Merlee76
New Community Member

Anyone else run into this? 

Login to Me Too

daricelewis25
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't even have 200 transactions also.

Login to Me Too

ralekato
Contributor
Contributor

I just got one today with a total of $12,257.35 in sales with 130 transactions. I am **bleep**ing **bleep**. I sold my car with eBay but didn't think I would be getting a 1099k. I will now have to jump hoops to not have to pay taxes on this **bleep**. fml

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

someone just posted today that state wants it if you have more than $599,state by state ,they want their share of the pie.

Login to Me Too

Whac-A-Mole
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

wrote:

I just got one today with a total of $12,257.35 in sales with 130 transactions. I am **bleep**ing **bleep**. I sold my car with eBay but didn't think I would be getting a 1099k. I will now have to jump hoops to not have to pay taxes on this **bleep**. fml

just curious,wont you be selling your car at a loss?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.