Received a 1099-K - Didn't meet thresholds? (MA/VT)

Dunroamin3
Contributor
Contributor

$1700 in ebay sales for the year and 52 transactions...

Why the 1099-k...both are WAY below the thresholds...any thoughts...not a busuiness...just and individual

Login to Me Too
108 REPLIES 108

djy2g33
Contributor
Contributor
My fees would have to be over 25% to get to 20K gross and end up uber 15K... that is certainly not the case
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@djy2g33

ok sorry to have bothered you with that suggestion.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

djy2g33
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass I'm sorry if I somehow suggested, via my brevity (typing on a cell phone), that your response was not valuable... That wasn't my intent in the least bit. It's a thought I also had but the math just doesn't add up... I'm just baffled since the IRS rules are fairly specific and standard fees are some 5% for small transactions but usually even less for bigger transactions...

Hence, still scratching my head about why the IRS rules were not followed properly.

Login to Me Too

calman46
Contributor
Contributor

Why did I get a 1099-k ?  I had 4 transactions with a total of $621.00 for 2017.

Login to Me Too

mdemars
New Community Member

My Paypal payment volume does not exceed the amount needed to generate a 1099 tax statement... how do I report the earnings on my taxes? Do I even need to if it's not considered "significant" enough?

Login to Me Too

Mdistel
Contributor
Contributor
I was sent a 1099-K when my total gross sales were under $3,000 with only 89 transactions. I thought PayPal only sent 1099s to sellers who gross over $20,000 AND have over 200 transactions? Dis I receive this form in error? I never kept any expense info because I thought I wouldn’t have to claim anything under $20,000!
Login to Me Too

ajl1234
Contributor
Contributor

My total gross sale was like $3500 and I'm not sure how many transactions I had, but probably not 200. 

Like you, I'm super confused. 

Login to Me Too

cb35
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I received a 1099-k on 12 transactions and $768.58.  I'm pretty upset.  Somebody please contact me this is outrageous behavior by Paypal.

Thank you

Login to Me Too

Cika857

Me too! I have been a personal seller on Ebay for over 15 years and never once I had received a 1099-K until now!

I always clean out my closets to sell my old items on Ebay to fund my new stuff. 

If I don't get to claim a credit when I purchased these items (I had already paid sales tax), why does the government get to tax me on these items again?!?!

Login to Me Too

cb35
Contributor
Contributor

I did some more research and I guess only residents of MA and VT received the forms (below the $20k/200 transactions).  They aren't reporting income only transactions.  I know the MA threshold is now $600.  That all being said, would have been nice to get a heads up from Paypal in advance.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.