Rakuten Payment Issue and the IRS

LC1102
New Community Member

I have had a personal account on PayPal for 18 years. I use Rakuten when I shop and the sent me a small (under $25) payment to my PayPal account for some purchases I made over the last three months online. Suddenly, PayPal is telling me I have to provide my SSN.  Per their email, and I quote: “Thank you for contacting us about the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax law that affects online sellers. We want to help you understand this new law and why we're asking you to confirm your Tax Identification Number. The IRS law requires that all U.S. payment processors, including PayPal, report gross payment information to the IRS about certain customers who receive payments for the sale of goods or services.”  I did not receive this payment based on any kind of sale.  I am not an online seller. My account is not a personal account and I do not understand why they are requesting this information from me.  Has anyone else received this? This is ridiculous and no o e at PayPal will give me a straight answer. Can anyone here help shed some light on this?  Thank you!

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.