Question on PP balance, transfers, and tax reporting?

deuce985
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a few questions about how PayPal works. If you have a PP balance that can be transferred to a bank does PP report this to the IRS over $600? Do they report larger bank transfers from your balance? Also, at what point will they send me a tax form? I don't use PP to sell anything. I only get some small earnings from survey sites with some gift cards or PP as extra side cash. I don't know if this needs to be reported as earned income to IRS though or is it considered a one-time payment since it's not consistent. It seems like they should've sent me a tax form but I've yet to see one over the years.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deuce985 

PayPal only reports payments received in to your PayPal balance as goods and services. Not bank transfers. The payments that were charged the 2.9% + 30 cents or 4.4% + 30 cents fee would be counted towards receiving the 1099K tax form. 

Whether you would receive a 1099K depends on your state or it will fall back on the federal requirements of 200 transactions/$20K thresholds:

How does PayPal report my sales to the IRS? Will I receive a tax Form 1099-K?

Please consult a tax professional for filing requirements.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@deuce985 

PayPal only reports payments received in to your PayPal balance as goods and services. Not bank transfers. The payments that were charged the 2.9% + 30 cents or 4.4% + 30 cents fee would be counted towards receiving the 1099K tax form. 

Whether you would receive a 1099K depends on your state or it will fall back on the federal requirements of 200 transactions/$20K thresholds:

How does PayPal report my sales to the IRS? Will I receive a tax Form 1099-K?

Please consult a tax professional for filing requirements.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

deuce985
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply this was helpful. I must've missed that in the FAQs when I was searching earlier.

Login to Me Too

UmutZngn
Contributor
Contributor
Coloring Fruit PoP
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.