Problem adding Paypal Credit account in Quicken

enlightened1
Contributor
Contributor

Problem: Problem adding Paypal Credit account in Quicken

In Quicken, there are two options for adding Paypal account:  1) Paypal 2) Paypal Credit.  If I select Paypal Credit and provide valid login credentials I get an error: "Oops we're having problem.  CC-501".  However, if I select Paypal option along with the credentials, the Quicken is successfully able to connect and download the transactions.  The problem, however, is that this newly added Credit account incorrectly shows up as Checking account.  Since a Checking account can't have negative balance.  I've contacted Quicken, Paypal as well as Paypal Credit (ie: Synchrony that services Paypal Credit0) without any luck. 

Anyone else having similar problems?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Igor74
Contributor
Contributor

I got the problem fixed, for now anyway.   I kept getting the CC-501 error trying to reset the connection for the Paypal credit account.  What I finally found that worked to fix is to go into Tools -> Add Account... and select to add Paypal Credit, Mastercard, and Crypto account.  It will reconnect, but with the older Express Web Connect rather than the newer Express Web Connect + method.  This will like fail in the near future when this is retired in favor of the newer, secure method.   So it looks like there's some sort of problem with the new connection method at either Paypal or Synchrony Bank that broke the newer secure connection method emails were sent out about. 

Login to Me Too

enlightened1
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your response. Your fix didn’t work for me. Firstly, the only way Quicken finds my PayPal Credit account is if I use just the “PayPal” financial institution during the Account Add process. If I select “PayPal Credit, Crypto” option I get a CC-501 error message. Additionally, during the account addition process you cannot select the connection type (by default it uses the new connection type).
Login to Me Too

Igor74
Contributor
Contributor

As I suspected, that fix didn't work for very long.  

I tried to relink today and it succeeded, but it's still not working correctly.  I've been a developer for a number of years and can tell from the way things functioned that either PayPal or Synchrony Bank are struggling with the 2 factor authentication prompt process.   The popup that asked for method of authentication offers no selection for method.  I just typed in Authenticator and the process accepted that and then prompted me for the 6 digit code. That got the account relinked.  It prompted a second time for the download step and I repeated the steps above and the download completed.  I can see there's still an issue because the connection method is still Web Connect when it should be Web Connect + showing up on the Online Services tab. 

I wish they'd just admit there's a programming issue for the EMC+ process linking PayPal and Synchrony and they're working on it. 

It was working initially.  I think they broke it trying to eliminate the method of authentication prompt and making it default to prompting directly for the Authenticator code.  Just an educated guess on my part.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.