PayPal needs to amend 1099-K Form with Correct EIN and send to IRS!

nadzkadz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

The business' 1099-K form for 2018 is incorrect because apparently PayPal wants me to get in trouble with the IRS. They have put my personal SSN on the form that they sent to the IRS, instead of the Business' EIN number. I had the same issue for 2017 and PayPal resolved it for me by amending the form and I had to send IRS a letter. However, they have done it again for 2018! I am not the business owner, just the financial manager. I cannot reach them via phone or messaging. Does anyone have a contact email address that I can use to resolve this URGENT matter?

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

finance_pat
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have a similar issue but not quite the same.  Paypal has somehow linked my social security number with my employer's business account.  They have now frozen our account from being able to process transactions.  The only resolution is for us to get a letter from the IRS, Form 147C.  Only our business owner and our CPA have the legal authority to discuss the business with the IRS.  Our CPA has tried to call the IRS 3 times and all three times the IRS has reported they are too busy to accept any additional phone calls.  We received letters from Paypal saying they will withhold our incoming payments for back taxes.  Paypal is the only means we have to accept payments in foreign currency and is seriously impacting our ability to conduct business.  I'd love to know how to get my social security number unlinked from the account.  Paypal support has been of little help claiming their hands are tied without the IRS letter.

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Hey did you end up sorting this out?

Paypal has put my social security number and full name instead of my business name and ein even though it is a business account? I am wondering what I should do since their support is not good.

Login to Me Too

aperl123
Contributor
Contributor

You need to call paypal customer service during regular business hours. They will open a ticket for you. There is apparently no direct paypal tax customer service line. The tax department will then contact you by email. 

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Thank I actually did this earlier today actually and they gave me a case ID. Appreciate you responding. Did they end up actually being able to change it for you after you got a case number.

Login to Me Too

aperl123
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't receive a case number the rep said there was none, I was just told I would get an email from the tax dept. I asked about how long it will take but the rep didn't know. In my case the form is under my personal name but my LLC's EIN but I am a single member LLC so it should of gone under my SSN. If only they would let you fill out a W-9 there would be no headache. 

Login to Me Too

illinoistax
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the same problem and beyond frustrated. They tell me there are two tickets open (I will ask for a case number)  but they have NEVER fixed it!  I would like to remove my taxpayer ID number from the account.  I'm the volunteer treasurer of a charityable organization and there is NO REASON for my SSN to be on this account!  I cannot get PayPal to fix the issue.  I call customer service during business hours and they sound nice, but they never do anything or respond or follow up.

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to hear that man, I am currently having the same issue. I know you have a case ID number (I got that too) but did you make sure that it was sent to the Tax Operations Team? My case is currently being reviewed, for the past 10 days I called today and they said I should expect a response soon. 

Login to Me Too

illinoistax
Contributor
Contributor

@mark2424 Thanks.  Based on feedback here I did call back and get case numbers.  Lady sounded super nice and concerned and she assigned me a second case number (now I have two) but still don't know why this is so difficult.  Not even sure why it happened in the first place!  PayPal service is horrible

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

@illinoistax 

Hey just wanted to leave you an update on my situation so maybe it could help you out.

I got a message today in the message center from I believe the Tax Operations team (11 days after I opened a message in the message center)

"We've received your request to update your 2020 1099-K Form to include your Employer Identification Number (EIN) and Legal Business Name"

They asked me to send a w-9 form their tax document email account. So hopefully they are one step closer to fix this issue.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.