Michigan sales tax is EXEMPT for gold and silver bullion, but they taxed me on the EBAY sale!

stooge2990
New Community Member

I bought 5 one ounce silver coins (Ebay 124555395558) for $185. Each coin is solid 99.9% pure silver and each has a face value of one dollar or two. They are from 5 countries. Austria, USA, Austrailia, Canada, and China.  These are called bullion coins and sell on Precious Metals markets like APMEX.COM and PROVIDENT.COM to name a few for about $38 each.

I was charged the 6% sales tax of my state Michigan.

Anyone who does any research can find this on the web:

www.michigan.gov/taxes, there is a state wide 6% sales tax, with no additional tax levied by any local municipalities. However, the state also passed a complete exemption for any transactions involving gold, silver, or platinum bullion, and certain collectible coins. This includes legal tender of any country consisting of these precious metals, with a market value above the face value. The bullion must be 90% pure and its value based on its content and not forms.

I buy precious metals from the two above mentioned companies and have never paid sales tax to either on my coin and bullion purchases.

Paypal will not communicate with me about the bad charges.  Their automated help routine is not configured to allow anyone to talk with them about problems other than those covered by the help menus.  They cut off all communications with them so you can't complain.  All the published phone numbers result in messages that they are not talking to you today or any day that I try.

Sign me "Super Frustrated"

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.