How does the new form 1099-K effects tax reporting in 2022 in California

Sonny84
Contributor
Contributor

I need to know if I would get a 1099-K form in Jan 2022 for the payments received in 2022 over $600 or is this new law going into practice beginning Jan 2022, meaning I will get it in Jan 2023 for the payments received throughout 2022. Also I'd like to know what is the state law for California regarding this? Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Sonny84,

Welcome! Thanks for visiting our Community Forums, this is a great question. PayPal tracks the total payment volume on your account to determine whether it meets the IRS threshold in a calendar year:

• $20,000 USD in total payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year and, 
  • 200 payments for goods or services in the same year.

However, some states report a bit differently than others:  

• Vermont, Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland: Have a $600 USD total payment volume threshold from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year. That’s regardless of the number of transactions. 
  • Illinois: Has a $1,000 USD total payment volume threshold of goods or services in a single calendar year. And at least 4 payment transactions. 

If you’ve met the state or IRS threshold in a given calendar year, PayPal will send you a Form 1099-K in January of the following year and submit this form with the IRS in March. Normally, you'll see your 1099-K made available by the end of January. 

I hope that clears up some confusion. Have a great day!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Sonny84,

Welcome! Thanks for visiting our Community Forums, this is a great question. PayPal tracks the total payment volume on your account to determine whether it meets the IRS threshold in a calendar year:

• $20,000 USD in total payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year and, 
  • 200 payments for goods or services in the same year.

However, some states report a bit differently than others:  

• Vermont, Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland: Have a $600 USD total payment volume threshold from sales of goods or services in a single calendar year. That’s regardless of the number of transactions. 
  • Illinois: Has a $1,000 USD total payment volume threshold of goods or services in a single calendar year. And at least 4 payment transactions. 

If you’ve met the state or IRS threshold in a given calendar year, PayPal will send you a Form 1099-K in January of the following year and submit this form with the IRS in March. Normally, you'll see your 1099-K made available by the end of January. 

I hope that clears up some confusion. Have a great day!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Sonny84
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_JonK  Got it, thanks for clarifying that Jon. Appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. 

Login to Me Too

CaravanFiber
Contributor
Contributor

OK--found the answer, it's in this article & more:  https://www.twrblog.com/2021/03/american-rescue-plan-act-clarifies-scope-of-form-1099-k-reporting-an...

Basically, it kicks for sales made in 2022. Instead of the two-part criteria of $20k+200 sales, it's now a flat $600 and up. this means if you sell one item for $600, then you'll have a 1099-K to report on your tax return.  

(In my opinion, especially as to when this was signed into effect, I think it's petty of the gov. Someone, especially in resold goods or hand-crafted goods, adding only $600 to their income? Really, what's next a tax on windows*?)

*In case you're not familiar with this, at one point in time England had a tax on windows & people boarded up their windows so they wouldn't have to pay the tax. It was ruled out in 1851.)

Login to Me Too

Sonny84
Contributor
Contributor

Got it, thank you so much for clarifying that and also for that article @CaravanFiber really appreciate you taking the time!! Well $600 is indeed a low threshold, this is gonna impact a lot of people next year I'm sure.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.