How can I tell if my customer PayPal account charges include tax?

KL1520
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to determine my state's use tax, but my Activity statements only show the total amount, including tax if there was any. I can't tell which transactions include tax and which ones don't. When I download the CSV version of transactions for the year, there are zeros in the tax column for transactions which I know were taxed.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @KL1520,

Welcome to our community forum and thanks for posting here!

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having to view your tax reports. You can access your Form 1099-K from the new PayPal Statements & Tax Center of your PayPal account. Here’s how to view your Form 1099-K from a web browser:

Click Settings next to “Log out.”
Click Statements and Taxes near the top of the page. 
Under the “Tax Documents” section, select the year you need from the dropdown.

You can also download your Goods and Services transactions statement from here. If you're getting any error, please try clearing cache/cookies and also try using a different browser or device. More details about 1099-K form can be found here.  For any additional assistance, please reach out to our customer support team through the available contact options on our website.

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

KL1520
Contributor
Contributor

I am not a business. I am a customer who uses PayPal to pay for online purchases. There is nothing on my PayPal account about taxes. The only place sales taxes are mentioned is on my report for the year. On that report, there are zeros in the sales tax column for purchases that I know were taxed.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @KL1520, thank you for that clarification! Unfortunately, PayPal does not track the amount of sales tax you've paid in a specific report. You may want to try downloading your activity in CSV format with the steps in the following Help Center article -  How do I view and download statements and reports. After that, you should see your transaction's details and any Sales Tax paid.

If you're still running into speed-bumps after that, I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams for assistance. 

Best wishes and good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

KL1520
Contributor
Contributor

My Actvity reoport is in CSV format. The sales tax column shows zero for many transactions that I know we’re taxed - Home Depot for example.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@KL1520

I'm sorry to hear that column is not showing any sales tax for every transaction. I've just downloaded my own activity and there are transactions where I paid sales tax listed on that report with the specific sales tax I've paid, and there are transactions that do not. In the cases where you do not see the sales tax listed, you may need to open the transaction in your PayPal Activity and view the details from there. The sales tax may not appear in the report for you if the merchant did not designate it appropriately on their checkout. On the report I just downloaded for my account, I can confirm I saw this happen for more than a few well-known merchants, unfortunately.

My apologies for any inconvenience this causes, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.