Fraudulent 1099K Filing

C43A
Contributor
Contributor

I was notified by the IRS of unreported income from PayPal via 1099K in 2018. After pulling my own transcripts from the IRS, I found that PayPal did in fact report over $20K of income in 2018 against my name and SSN, but the reported address was not one that I have ever been associated with and does not exist in public record; I have also never had a PayPal merchant account. Since it is virtually impossible to get through to an actual customer service representative, how do I get this clarified so I can prove to the IRS I did not actually receive these funds and make sure this does not happen again? 

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

C43A
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, thanks to their broken system you get to do a whole bunch of work to clear your name. Thanks PayPal!
Login to Me Too

C43A
Contributor
Contributor
Well put. They obviously need to improve verification for merchant accounts. I’m guessing this chain will grow as the 1099s role in.
Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

I just received one of these 1099K forms with transactions that are NOT mine.  Have contacted Paypal and will wait to hear.  Account numbers do not match up, so truly hope they can find the error. 

Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

So far all they have done is permanently restrict usage of my account. Absolutely no communication about the 1099-K or why that income is in my name.  None of it actually shows up on my account, but I received a fraudulent 1099-K.

Login to Me Too

Sfatale
Contributor
Contributor
So I was speaking to someone through the online messaging when the conversation was closed with no explanation or resolution. This is beyond frustrating at this point.
Login to Me Too

1099kfraud

I just got off the phone with Paypal after 1 hour and 39 minutes and 3 departments with nothing to show for it.  I am fighting a 1099k filling to the IRS from Paypal for $23k of which I have NEVER used Palpal.  Maybe a class action suit would be of benefit if we all got together.  Paypal is unable to produce the 1099k and their tax department have yet to contact me back.  I was on the phone for four hours in November with their department waiting for someone to come back to the phone.  I feel like I keep getting the run around from Paypal and today when I called, I think that Candice 1672111 from the Limitations Dept (is that really a dept name?) was actually laughing at me when I became upset.  This was after I was transferred by Jeff J1001B who was a customer service agent and could not help in this matter and then later transferred to Dan of the Product Support?  (why did they send me there?).  When is Paypal going to contact the IRS to fix these issues?   

I have filed a complaint with the FBI - you can do so here  IC3.gov

Contact information can be found here - https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

I finally sent hard copy letters to the error resolution department and the legal department at Paypal.  I did receive a more in depth (with maybe still a misunderstanding of the situation) response.  Am waiting....waiting.....to see what kind of solution they come up with.  

Hopefully something positive will come of this last communication!!

Login to Me Too

illini23kid
Contributor
Contributor

I read your post, have you received any help or word from PayPal after your letters. I have also written a letter but would love to send a letter to the PayPal Legal Department. Do you mind sharing the mailing address!?

Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

In my circumstance it took from the end of January to April to resolve the problem with a corrected 1099-K.  I talked to a number of Paypal representatives, which in hindsight might have been too many.  It was never the same person.  And sometimes I couldn't understand them. 

I also used the messaging system on Paypal.  Many times it seemed they didn't fully understand the problem.  That's why I finally used hard copy letters to the error resolution department and legal department. 

I finally complained to the Better Business Bureau and that was where I received a communication from Paypal in April.  A corrected form is dated April 2, 2021.  

The system was not good with communication, but, in the end, I received the correction.   I went through having my account suspended for a time, investigating account numbers, and another issue with eBay that might have been connected (fraudulent account).  

I kept my Paypal and eBay accounts so I can  monitor them. 

These are the two places I sent letters with describing my problem, reference #'s, and what I needed from them.  

[removed]
[removed]

Login to Me Too

amanyad_39

I am in this same situation

I have contacted the better business bureau as other have suggested.

Would the authorities ever even investigate these issues? Or do these types of crimes and ID thieves just get to roam free.

I'm just hoping that they catch these guys. This has caused an extreme amount of stress in my household.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.