Fraudulent 1099K Filing

C43A
Contributor
Contributor

I was notified by the IRS of unreported income from PayPal via 1099K in 2018. After pulling my own transcripts from the IRS, I found that PayPal did in fact report over $20K of income in 2018 against my name and SSN, but the reported address was not one that I have ever been associated with and does not exist in public record; I have also never had a PayPal merchant account. Since it is virtually impossible to get through to an actual customer service representative, how do I get this clarified so I can prove to the IRS I did not actually receive these funds and make sure this does not happen again? 

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Sfatale
Contributor
Contributor
Did you ever get help? We just got a 1099k from PayPal for my husband and he doesn't have a PayPal account and we don't sell anything.
Login to Me Too

C43A
Contributor
Contributor
Unfortunately I did not get help from PayPal. After hours and hours of trying to get through to someone I gave up. I had to write a letter to the IRS to explain this whole mess. I haven’t heard back from them yet, but this whole thing has cost me a ton of time and stress. Maybe a class action lawsuit will get their attention.
Login to Me Too

Sfatale
Contributor
Contributor
I agree, maybe it's something to be looked into.
Login to Me Too

Hike276
New Community Member
I just received one too. I am in the same situation I don't sale anything and I don't have a merchant account.
Login to Me Too

Reginalyu2021
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing just happened to me ! Got a 1099 In the mail and I never sold anything through eBay !
Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

It took them about 2 months to work on mine.  I went through the Better Business Bureau and received notification of a corrected 1099K form that would be mailed and a detailed communication.  I am guessing this problem is fairly common.  Trying to message electronically and phone calls were the worst and confusing.  Too many people.  Many who didn't really understand the problem I was trying to communicate.   I finally sent a detailed statement to their legal department and accounting (I think) through snail mail.  I had a better response. 

Login to Me Too

amanyad_39

Hi

I am in this very same situation right now.

I was sent a 1099k and eBay is giving me the turn around and won't be helpful.

I would like to contact the IRS, what is the best way to get my concern read and fixed right away?

This is causing so much stress in my household. 

Did the IRS cancel the 1099k under your name and were there any fines?

Does the IRS actually investigate these issues or do they just wipe our records and let these ID thieves go about their day?

Thank you

Login to Me Too

Umph101
Contributor
Contributor

I just got one as well for hundreds of thousands of dollars over 1700 transactions that were never made by me....get your $%^# together paypal. Worst company I have ever dealt with.

Login to Me Too

Sfatale
Contributor
Contributor
I have spoken to two people who basically said there is nothing they can do and to contact the IRS. This is ridiculous.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.