Error with Confirm your U.S. taxpayer status form

Daisy012
New Community Member

There seems to be some inconsistency with Paypal's IRS reporting obligations. I got a notification from Paypal this morning promoting me to confirm my U.S. taxpayer status because I receive "payment for goods and services through PayPal" and they need to collect this information "prepare the IRS Form 1099-K when it is necessary". However, their help page clearly states, this is only necessary if the payment for goods/services is in excess of $20,000 or 200 transactions. The only exception is if you live in Vermont or Massachusetts, then the amount is $600. I don't receive an excess $20,000 in payments or live in Vermont or Massachusetts. As a matter of fact, the payment I received for services in 2020 is less than $20, which is a negligible amount but of course should still be reported to the IRS. The issues isn't the criteria. The issue is the "Confirm your U.S. taxpayer status" form isn't working. I keep getting an error  "personal.auto_verification_failed_". I've looked at the online community and the issue isn't unique to me. I've called help desk and I was told I would receive a call in an hour - if I ever do. However, it looks like until this information is collected, my account will be limited. I'm also very concerned Paypal is collecting information that they don't need to collect. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.