Complex issue: account shared with former spouse / 1099K / SSN

jamtei
New Community Member

Hi.

I have a complex issue with my PayPal account. My former wife and I made a PayPal account in 2001 while living in Chicago, IL. At that time we shared a home address and a bank account, and used this information when making our PayPal account. We put her name on the PayPal account. When we parted ways, I kept the house and the bank account in Chicago. She moved to Austin, TX, and eventually changed her name. Since the PayPal account was linked to the bank account that is now fully mine, and since the PayPal account was registered to a street address that was still my home and no longer hers, I kept using the account. I updated the email address and password, and my former spouse has had nothing to do with this account or anything linked to it.

For years I didn't use the PayPal account much, but in 2020, I started selling some things on line more actively. I was not aware of the 1099K rules until this week, when I saw that I have a 1099K form for my 2020 internet sales. This week, I read about 1099K, and now understand what it is. The problem is that my former spouse's name and social security number (SSN) are on the 1099K. Both of us just totally forgot that her SSN was on the PayPal account, so it never got changed. It was never an issue until now. The tax burden for these internet sales is mine, not hers, so I need to have a new 1099K issued, with my tax info on it (name and SSN), not hers.

Please advise!

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.