1099-K Form

RAKennedy
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone else had this problem and/or if I'm a victim of fraud.  For some reason I received a 1099-K Form for 2020 for $4,900+ in PayPal transactions when I had ZERO transactions in 2020.  I tried calling PayPal, but I've never been able to actually talk to someone there.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going on?  Thank you.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

rcarl616
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem: In early February I received a 1099-K for 2020 from PayPal showing $4,156 in income in 53 transactions in August and September 2020. I have NEVER used PayPal to receive funds and used it only three times in 2020, all to make payments for goods. My bank statements and credit card statements show no transactions of this nature and size. I was finally able to talk with a real person at PayPal who, after research, said there is a second PayPal account in my name and did I know that? Uh, NO! I'm awaiting further assistance from PayPal dispute resolution. I'm thinking fraud, maybe stolen identity.

Login to Me Too

RAKennedy
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, Sorry you are going thru this too. Can you tell me how you were able to reach someone at PayPal to speak with? Thanks
Login to Me Too

rcarl616
Contributor
Contributor

It took a long time and a lot of tries but I think what happened is that I said "agent" repeatedly during the recorded prompts and was finally placed in the queue for a live person.

To follow-up on my earlier message, I was actually on the phone with PayPal while creating that message. At the time I had been forwarded to dispute resolution for further assistance. After being on hold literally for an hour I was able to talk with another person. I was asked to verify my name, telephone number, e-mail address, Social Security Number, birth date and mailing address. I provided the account number for the Form 1099-K (bottom left-hand corner of the form). The person eventually was able to confirm that there is a second PayPal account under my name, with all of my identify information identical except that the birth date is not the same day although the month and year are the same. I was told PayPal will restrict activity on the fraudulent account. I requested and received a case number for my situation. Like a dummy, I neglected to ask how to address the fact I still have this 1099-K showing $4K income, presumably involving the fraudulent account. I guess that means another long time in line on the phone. I have also received a very lengthy e-mail from PayPal with instructions on how to report possible identify theft. Good luck to you.

Login to Me Too

RAKennedy
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the additional detailed info. Looks like we're both in the same pickle. I'm currently awaiting a callback from PayPal, and I'll let you know if I get any useful info re: how yo handle 1099-K form. Thanks
Login to Me Too

RAKennedy
Contributor
Contributor
Update: I was eventually able to speak with a PayPal agent who told me they found a second account with a lot of my personal info associated. They are going to investigate this account and report it to the IRS if its found to be fraudulent (which I'm sure it is). They also gave me a Case# for tracking purposes. Hopefully everything works out...
Login to Me Too

bbolt
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem and cannot get Paypal to address it other than to permanently limit MY account.  1099-K shows I made money.  I did not.  My account documents show that I did not.   Only use for paying for services or merchandise. 

I need to have them correct the error 1099-K and send that to the IRS.  I have talked to people on the phone that have confirmed I have not received money for merchandise or services through Paypal.  But....I have not been able to talk to anyone who can fix the 1099-K problem.  I have made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Federal Trade Commission and sent two hard copy letters to Paypal.  

Some of the representatives I have talked to I cannot understand and actually talk about other subjects when I am trying to have them help.  Very frustrating!  I don't know what to do next! 

Login to Me Too

Cnaylor21
New Community Member
I am having the exact same issue. Someone fraudulently opened a PayPal merchant Acct w my information and I received a 1099k form for 2020 with 10k in income. I was able to get through to customer service to report the account on the 1099k so it’s closed and they’re “investigating”. I’ve asked about when and how PayPal will notify the IRS and am still waiting to hear back or find someone at PayPal about how that part. Very frustrating. I saw another thread with at least 7 others experiencing the same issue and threatening a class action suit against PayPal for all of this. If anyone has luck w PayPal advising on if they’ve rectified their 1099k w the IRS, Please update. Good luck.
Login to Me Too

MD116

Hi All

I received a 1099 that states I made $22,534.36 for the year 2018 and that Paypal is sending this to the IRS. Which is wildly inaccurate. I had probably been paid about $700 that year via paypal.  Currently I am on hold to speak to an agent. Hopefully this gets resolved before the IRS audits me or anything. I know that even when you can prove to the IRS that something is incorrect, they sometimes continue to dispute it. I hope this doesn't lead to some nightmare. 

Why is this being sent out 3 years later? Shouldn't paypal contact us first to verify if this tax info is correct?

Login to Me Too

MD116

Okay so I spoke to a paypal representative and they are seeing these letters lately. They are bogus. They believe it is a way to phish for info. Do not call the number on the letter. Call the number through paypal or I calle[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]nbsp;

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.