Went in the red with my bank because Paypal used wrong funding source

JABB1
Contributor
Contributor

I'll make this a short message but about two weeks ago, I made an online grocery order and did what I always did and wanted to pay through Paypal Credit.

However, a week later after the groceries were delivered, I got notification from one of my banks that I had gone overdrawn and was now in the red with them. I have never been in the red with any bank in my life, so that was a first. I wasn't happy about it, as you might imagine. It turned out that Paypal did not use PayPal Credit to fund the grocery payment, but instead used TWO separate sources, one from a credit card and one from this old bank account which I only had a few pounds in. I haven't used that account for well over 18 months, and only had a few pounds in there to keep the account going. I never paid anyone from that account for around 18 months.

I told Paypal of the problem, and asked them to give a £5 refund to my bank so I wouldn't be in the red. I was shocked when they said they won't be doing that but told me to contact the grocery online store and ask them for a refund. The transaction had gone through and wasn't PayPal's problem any more. That's what paypal said. It wasn't the grocery store I had the problem with, it was Paypal. Seems they won't take any responsibility. 

Your thoughts please.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JABB1 

Not all transactions will be approved on PayPal Credit and will use one of your linked funding sources instead. Even after you've checkout with PayPal Credit. This stuff is all automated so it is best to make sure all your funding sources are stocked with cash and up-to-date to cover purchase prior to or remove it, especially when using PayPal Credit. PayPal doesn't know if an account is invalid or lack funds so it just use the next funding source that's available and backed up with credit card (where applicable) to do an 'instant bank payment", PayPal pays ahead to the seller and wait for the funds to clear your bank.

No doubt it's the pits that they won't refund the measly £5 but you also have to see it from their standpoint too, they can't be refunding every time something like this happens and they have millions up on millions of accounts. Users are supposed to make sure they have funds in their accounts on PayPal. You should mitigate the damage yourself and put £5 in that bank account.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.