Taxes and paying friends and family

B2017R
Contributor
Contributor
I’m currently being paid through PayPal for freelance work. However, the company is paying me to pay the team I’m managing as well. So for example, they’ll pay me $700 a week and I’m paying friends and family $600 of that $700. How do I record or correctly track the money I’m actually receiving for taxes through PayPal? Is there a way to do this through PayPal that it shows I’m paying this money out and it’s not mine to keep?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @B2017R,

Thank you for your post! I hope to clarify matters for you.

If you're being paid money for freelance work and then paying the team that you're managing, both the received payment and the payments you send should be Goods and Services payments. All payments for services should be paid this way, since services are being purchased. The sender of the payment is paying for the service that they're receiving from your business, and you're also paying for the services provided to your business by your team members. Friends and Family payments are intended solely for payments that have no exchange of Goods or Services involved. If things are done in this way, they will also be reported accurately should you need to review your payments sent vs your payments received for the freelance business you're conducting.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.