I updated to Quicken 2020 & now I can't set up the Paypal account to download.

mstv01
Contributor
Contributor

@ links to members, content  

I updated to Quicken 2020 & started having issues downloading.  I tried resetting the account,  tried deactivating and now I can't set up the Paypal account  at all 

At first, endless Paypal security code entries that wouldn't resolve into a connection.  It looked like it was working, but came back to having to enter the security code each time.  I deactivated and now I can't reactivate!  Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

mstv01
Contributor
Contributor

I just checked with Quicken community & there's a new response re: Paypal and Quicken.

"Hi folks. If you're a Paypal customer on the subscription version of Quicken, you may have noticed your Paypal account transactions are not downloading via Quicken Connect, but the account balance IS updating to the latest balance. I spent hours with Quicken customer service trying to solve the issue, only to find that Paypal is not supporting Quicken downloads in the latest version's format. I confirmed this with Paypal's customer service. They told me there's no timeline for this to be resolved, but the more customers they hear from about it, the more they're likely to prioritize fixing it. So you may want to contact Paypal to let them know that you're a Quicken customer and you need them to update their platform to allow downloading via QFX format or Quicken Connect as soon as possible."

If you're a Quicken user, please let them know you want the correct interface back so transactions will download smoothly!   

A number of years ago, I had a similar problem with Sears MC.  It took awhile, but enough Quicken users complained and it was fixed.  Hopefully enough Paypal users will complain and get this fixed, too!

Login to Me Too

Happy to add my voice to the chorus.  What's the easiest way to contact PayPal Support so that I get added to the same feature/bug report?

Login to Me Too

Rebop2020
Contributor
Contributor

I also cannot find a way to get the ear of Paypal. Chat thought Quicken was a vendor I wanted to open a dispute with. How did you contact them?

Login to Me Too

mymooser
Contributor
Contributor

I have been chatting with Quicken Technical Support simultaneously with PayPal Tech Support. Quicken keeps telling me the logs show a problem with the file the PayPal sends and that PayPal needs to look at the logs and resolve the problem. PayPal tells me that the problem is with he file types we have through our website are QIF and IIF. QIF are not supported after 2004 and IIF isn't supported after 2008. More than likely not be able to utilize any version of Quicken/Quickbooks after 2008. All issues with these file types with this organization must be resolved directly by Intuit. I've opened tickets with both companies, been on the phone and even screen share with Quicken this week as well. I've "escalated" my tickets and spoken to supervisors apparently....So I'm still stuck in the middle with these two companies telling the customer to talk to the other and no one fixing it. When will this darn OL-221-A Error be resolved?!

Login to Me Too

scottlou
Contributor
Contributor

I've had problems with PayPal in Quicken on and off for several years.  It almost never reconciles without having to plug in some figure that amounts to anywhere from 5 to 20% of the last month's transactions.  I can never figure out where the error is and it's not worth the effort to continue trying.  It's a rare month when I can connect every time I try.  Since I upgraded to Quicken 2020 subscription service several months ago I've only successfully downloaded transactions a few times.  It hasn't worked at all now since about the third week of June so I'm behind by dozens of transactions that I really don't want to enter by hand.  Quicken says it's PayPal's fault.  PayPal takes a significantly greater percentage of my cash flow through their institution than all my other banking relationships combined.  They need to get their act together and make it possible for their biggest users, the ones who run taxable revenue through them, the ones who are mandated to keep good records, to keep those records.  This is unacceptable.

Login to Me Too

dmodemd
New Community Member

There is a big thread in the Quicken community on this as well.  Bottom line is that Paypal says that per their agreement with Quicken, only Quicken is responsible for resolving any issues.  Essentially Paypal does not care.  I contacted Paypal customer service agent and they said "what is quicken?".  I did get to a support engineer who informed me about the above.  As a result, I have informed my wife to AVOID PAYPAL whenever possible going forward.  The Quicken/Paypal integration has been on and off trouble for years.  I have used Quicken for all my financial management for almost 30 years now.  If a financial institution will not support Quicken, I will not use them.  I have chosen my major banks based on this premise as well.   I suggest that all of you who use or need Quicken to reconsider your financial transactions with Paypal as they have clearly stated they have no interest in supporting Quicken.

Login to Me Too

scottlou
Contributor
Contributor

What's the alternative if you're an eBay seller?

Login to Me Too

Marwift
New Community Member

Do you keep a balance on PayPal or does it get transferred in and out of a checking account? My default on PayPal is to debit (and credit) my main checking account; therefore, I have an accounting of transactions because that checking account is in Quicken. I will say, however, that this is a very inelegant way to have to do things. You would think they would give a darn and make it work right. There's gotta be enough programmer stuck at home that somebody could do this as a "while you're sheltering from COVID" project?!?

Login to Me Too

Drawdy

For this reason my Paypal CC account is only used for about a dozen recurring transactions I memorize into Quicken. Now, despite only getting 1% back instead of the 2% from the Paypal card, I use Discover for my day-to-day transactions which is about 150 transactions per cycle and 4-5 times as much $ wise as the Paypal card. One good outcome is if my Discover card number is stolen, I don't have to remember to change the card number for my recurring subscriptions.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.