Balance View / Running Balance

Machineage
Contributor
Contributor

Bring back the ability to view balance / running balance online, or you will lose more customers than just me I can assure you......

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Pontisteve
Contributor
Contributor

I feel the same way. I absolutely have to be able to see my running balance, and PayPal recently made that disappear! If PayPal can't put this back, I'm going to have to dump PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Machineage
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal in their pathetic wisdom have now made it very clear that being able to access 'balance view' or 'running balance' online has been permanently phased out.

I can't think of any other online account I've ever had where viewing a running balance wasn't an option. This is just so stupid, it's beyond parody. I really am struggling to understand what they expect to gain from this ridiculous decision, other than a loss of custom.

I am withdrawing my funds, and that's the way it will stay, with a zero balance. Any funds that come in will be immediately withdrawn. I am also withdrawing my usage of PayPal in every way I can.

Login to Me Too

JGSG
New Community Member

This is extremely annoying, it was the only view i cared about.

I guess it was beyond their technical skill to make it work right.

Login to Me Too

Pontisteve
Contributor
Contributor

This is the lame rambling excuse they gave me today for not allowing me to see my own running balance:

Thank you for reaching out to us. The running balance column functionality has been deprecated by our product engineer. The balance and balance impacting columns on the activity report are used as a workaround to get the balance impact of transactions. I understand this will affect the usual way the reports are processed. 

However, the deprecation decision is to enable the team to continue to offer the best possible reporting service to merchants, and we sincerely apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Login to Me Too

Pontisteve
Contributor
Contributor

Today I was told that this feature had been eliminated. Then told I could do it by downloading the reports, which is not true. And then told to drop my complaint in the suggestion box! Sorry sir, I know you have no idea how much money was in your account on any given day, but what do you think we are, a bank??? WAKE UP PAYPAL! Here's the actual text from PayPal...

"I am sorry but at this time, the ability to see your running balance has been removed. We understand this change is not something everyone agrees with. PayPal is constantly evoling and making changes. At this time this feature has been removed. As you stated, you can still get your running balance by doing a download of your transaction history for the time period you are needing.

I understand your concern with not being able to see your running balance. I would highly suggest submitting your concern & feedback through the feedback link within your account. Feedback submitted through this link does get sent to the appropriate department and is reviewed. Down the road there is a chance this feature could return but as of right now you have to do a download of your history to see your running balance."

Login to Me Too

jerrij
Contributor
Contributor

If you could see your balance by downloading a report, that would be inefficient, but doable. However when you try to download a report, you get a message that they will prepare your report at some future time that is similar to never. Really poor.

Login to Me Too

Harm_Less
Contributor
Contributor

Having just spoken to a very helpful women at PayPal who fully understood and sympathised with her and my inability to produce a statement that contained a running balance she has offered to work through the issue with the tech's at PayPal and will email her results.

In the meantime I have tried various methods on the PayPal website and have come up with a workable solution.

• Go to the 'Reports' tab at the top of the page, then select 'Statements' from the tabs at the left.
  • Select the 'Monthly' option from the drop down then 'Request' the CSV option.
  • It will then take a few minutes to process the request before offering a 'Download' option.
  • Download the CSV file into an Excel worksheet.
  • To make the CSV data usable select the columns that you don't require and Hide them.
  • Change the column widths to fit the content of each of the remaining columns.
  • Add a header to give the printed worksheet a title (e.g. PayPal statement Mar 2021)
  • Save the file as an Excel worksheet in whichever folder you choose.
  • Print off a hardcopy for inclusion in your tax account records.

I don't understand why PayPal don't now include the running balance on their screen viewable format (despite offering  "Activity (including fees & balance) option, especially as the balance data is available via the CSV format and could so easily be migrated across. It will be interesting to see if and when my friendly PayPal lady emails me what answers she comes up with!

Login to Me Too

Pontisteve
Contributor
Contributor

We await your answer Harm_Less

Login to Me Too

smokeydan
Contributor
Contributor

This is insane.

Balance view with no balance to be seen...

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING???!!!

NO BALANCE in Balance view...  WHY?

Bad Paypal! Bad! Go lay down!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.