2020 Paypal 1099 K report that includes Ebay / Paypal fees and Paypal sales tax

Temp20220222ab
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am a 76 year old retired worker who collected sports cards for over 30 years and decided to clean out my collection so I sold some cards on Ebay last year.  I only had 67 transactions but did well, had $25000 in sales, because the sports card market is a little crazy.  In any case, I received a 1099 K form from both Ebay and Paypal indicating that I have to pay federal and state taxes on this income.  Since I live in Illinois I am required to report all the income to the federal and state IRS.  I am not running a business and have no operating expenses so I need to report the actual income as a hobby on Schedule 1.  In doing so,  I determined that the Ebay and Paypal amounts on both 1099 Ks include Ebay and Paypal fees and the Paypal 1099 K also includes sales tax that was collected by Ebay and then deducted from my payments and sent to their respective states of the buyers.  The question I have is where do I report the 1099 K gross amounts on Schedule 1 and where do I enter the ebay/paypal fees and sales tax that are not income to me as a deduction on Schedule 1 because I should not have to pay income tax on sales tax or third party fees?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.