1099 help! My name is on the PayPal account, but I don't own the business!

djbrancol
New Community Member

I got the email asking for the SSN or EIN for our business for the 1099.  I opened the account for my parents in 2018 (they are in their 80's).  It is my name on the account.  I DO NOT receive any payments, the payments go directly to my parents' bank account for their business.  I run their business, but I don't receive payment for anything. 

I have to change the name?  Because when I try to use my dad's SS number, it won't let me change it to his name (since my name is associated with the PayPal account).  

If you've had to do a name change before, a driver's license or passport works for the photo ID.  What else for a name change?  It says a legal document like a marriage license or divorce decree....really?  This is my 80-y/o father.  Will anything besides a marriage license work?   Will the front page of a 1040 tax return work?  Anything??

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Gladogedegbe322
Contributor
Contributor
I am having the same problem bro. The account is in my name the bank account link to the PayPal account Is that of a friend différente name. Now PayPal size my 1000k asking me to upload some documents
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@djbrancol 

A paypal account belongs to the person who's name it is in, if its in your name then its your account.

You can't change the name on a paypal account, only if there is a 2 character spelling error OR for legal reasons eg marriage.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.