buyer scams seller by sending an empty return envelope? what can you do?

lusso1122
Contributor
Contributor

hello paypal community,

please help me.

i sell very small body jewelries on ebay. and i have been scammed by buyers on multiple occasions because some buyers return an empty envelope. They have proof of shipping, so paypal representative said there is nothing they can do but refund the buyer's money... I cannot argue with the weight of the shipping because jewelries weigh so little that such weight difference does not prove anything.

did anyone have such experience? what can i do to prevent this or prove buyer's scam?

thank you very much.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

football1190
New Community Member

Unfortuntly, there is nothing you can do!  Paypal always sides with the buyer! End of conversation.  I know someone who sold baseball cards. On the auction, it was listed "No returns accepted. Sold as is!"  There were 12 pictures included in on the auction showing all of the cards. Well if you know anything about baseball cards the year the person bought were a little off center. Anyway, the buyer insisted the cards were in bad shape and sent them back. Paypal sided with the customer and the guy had to refund the money.  So no matter what the buyer says, they always get their money back. There is no seller side using Paypal.

Hope that helps!  Sorry to hear you're being scammed.

Login to Me Too

muteki808
New Community Member

I've been reading up on these scams that happen all so frequently, and have these bozo's trying to scam me on craigslist all the bloody time.  The only two things that I've come up with, instead of just not using Paypal at all, is to record and document everything from when you put the items into the package to when you mail it, and also upping shipping costs to include tracking and signature required by recipient.  Other than that, if there no other way, and Paypal won't even accept that proof to help protect the sellers.  There isn't much that can be done.

Login to Me Too

ptpatty
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is happening to me now. I'm waiting for my package still .I pray this isn't the case! So are you saying that you just lost Money and product on someone elses word ? Your word doesn't count? I'm shaking inside I am soo angery!  This scammer can do this? I'm leaving e-bay If this is the case...I'll get backto you when I no my results . So sorry for you..                  fight.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.