refund scam

hussbull
New Community Member

REFUND SCAM

There is at least one buyer working a refund scam through PayPal.

The scam works like this:

1. First the buyer buys and pays for several items from a seller.

2. He chooses items that are low enough priced so that they not likely be tracked.

3. Then he waits until they are delivered to see if they are tracked.

4. If not, after waiting a while he puts a claim into PayPal saying the items were not delivered.

5. The buyer will not respond to any attempts to communicate with him.

6. In the absence of proof of delivery, PayPal awards him a full refund from your account.

7. By the time you see what is happening and blocked him, the buyer has had quite a few items from you.

8. The buyer may also use more than one eBay ID.

One buyer has scammed me out of over £60.00 for several printer consumable items.

There seems to be no way to get PayPal to look into this!

I would love to post two of this buyer’s eBay IDs here, but suspect that would get my post removed.

Like many, I do not track items below a certain value as the cost adds up and I find adding the cost to the postage puts off bidders.

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

0128carol
New Community Member

@hussbull wrote:

REFUND SCAM

There is at least one buyer working a refund scam through PayPal.

The scam works like this:

1. First the buyer buys and pays for several items from a seller.

2. He chooses items that are low enough priced so that they not likely be tracked.

3. Then he waits until they are delivered to see if they are tracked.

4. If not, after waiting a while he puts a claim into PayPal saying the items were not delivered.

5. The buyer will not respond to any attempts to communicate with him.

6. In the absence of proof of delivery, PayPal awards him a full refund from your account.

7. By the time you see what is happening and blocked him, the buyer has had quite a few items from you.

8. The buyer may also use more than one eBay ID.

One buyer has scammed me out of over £60.00 for several printer consumable items.

There seems to be no way to get PayPal to look into this!

I would love to post two of this buyer’s eBay IDs here, but suspect that would get my post removed.

Like many, I do not track items below a certain value as the cost adds up and I find adding the cost to the postage puts off bidders.

i never used to track parcels , but have been caught out with a few people stating parcels have not arrived ,  so now i add 50p to postage and send 2nd class recorded ,

Login to Me Too

Bbbetty
New Community Member

I sold a low cost item (£15) to a buyer, and two days afer transaction, he had opened a 'not received' case.  I had sent a dispatched notice the day before, so I started to feel a little uneasy at his over zealous attitude. 

I then looked at his feedback score (which I can't quite remember, but it was atrocious)!!  He had disputes with more than one buyer/seller and was very generous in handing out negative feedback and also insulting and derogatory remarks (especially to women).

Needless to say, although I had proof of posting, the amount was out of my Paypal account and into his, before I could mutter 'scammer'!

Ahhhh!  Due to the onesided attitude of Ebay/Paypal, sellers are in a very vulnerable position.  Should a churlish buyer leave negative feedback, your good name/score is ruined without any opportunity for it to be overturned.

Bbbetty

Login to Me Too

Belinni
Contributor
Contributor

Sellers Beware!!

I have also been a victim of this scam, in my case the buyer did respond to emails through Ebay and said that there was a problem with his account and that it would all be sorted soon. As far as I know he did not actually file that he did not receive the item, he simply queried it and got it stopped through his bank or his bank drew it back due to insufficient funds.

Even though I have several emails through ebay from the buyer and it is very clear he has the goods, Papal will not take this into account. They say they have no access to them, even though I have given them a copy of the emails.

Its strange how Paypal and Ebay are fully integrated and automatically update when you receive payment, or its refunded or a dispute is raised. Whay on earth can they not look at the email and take this evidence into account, particularly when the ARE THE SAME COMPANY!!

My item was a low value item and as such I didn't have a tracking number, however I do have these emails - if only Ebay Or Paypal would look at them.

Ebay/Paypal are all about the buyer, we can't even leave negative feedback on Buyers - how unfair and one sided is this, everything is to the favour of the Buyer. Where are the sellers rights!!!!!!!!!!

As sellers we have to earn our feedback, positive and negative apply. Buyers can have only positive feedback, so no one can actually see what problems other people have had with those buuers, this paints a very false picture.

Basically sellers have no rights!

Very frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Deaneo
New Community Member

I have just had that happen to me. It seems that you can just click on to the resolution centre and say you didnt get it ?? In other words, just ask for your money back ??  I have tried to email paypal who just send an automated email back saying call. I called and the guy just couldnt give me any answers. I asked to speak to someone who could and he simply said NO ! Therefore if we all want FREE items, we simply use paypal !! Just wait till you have your item, then say you didnt recieve it and you get your money back ! How safe is that from Paypal who is supposed to make 'safe' transaction ?

In short, I was not contacted by the buyer, not contacted by Paypal, not contacted by Ebay. They just took the money from my account and gave it the buyer back. Great. Makes all the hard work etc. while trying to run a business, a complete waste of time. Thanks PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Sarah-Kate
Contributor
Contributor

This has also happened to me, I tracked the item although they said it was damaged. It never even made it back to me. I went to the place to pick up this item and it wasn't even there. Now paypal are asking me to pay them 100 or face legal action. It is exploiting its sellers.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey guys,

I’m sorry this has happened to you but to be fully covered under Seller Protection you need to ship the item with tracking and retain your proof of postage receipt. The transaction must also be marked as eligible for Seller Protection.

Sarah-Kate, if you still have not received your item back then you can appeal the case decision with PayPal so I would advise you to contact us directly.

Login to Me Too

diver99
Contributor
Contributor

You,  as in paypal are neglecting the sellers. Not everybody will want to pay for signed international postage for a 1.00 photograph/postcard. So why isn't a certificate of posting proof from the post office? As this has the address of the buyer / intended destination. And why is the seller responsible for the postal system?

Login to Me Too

diver99
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have proof the item was sent? If so, I would follow up paypals threat for legal action and inform every newspaper and media person I could find. The media like news which is ebay related, especially when it puts them in a bad light.

Login to Me Too

PucKUrLaws
Contributor
Contributor

This scam is not just happening to sellers this is happening to buyers too. I bought something via paypal, i received a damaged item, returned it the next day. The package made it all the way to the destination then wasn't updated in the postage system (odd), the seller won because it was no proof he received the item but the item wasn't at the post office or hasn't been returned to me. I have been dealing with this a whole month and finally got what i need to get this fraud/lying seller to pay up. And i definitely provided paypal all verified tracking information but still losed. This seller is a liar and i've been trying to tell paypal that for the longest that he received the item, this seller isn't that impressive with only a 1,000 plus sells in 6years, from now own im only buying from sellers withover 10,000 sells and beyond. So i guess we all feel the same way.

Login to Me Too

DariuszK

After reading this I think I just got scammed for 675$USD. I sold time that I spend to make some items in mmorpg game Lineage2.  I got the money, I gave buyer the items.  3min later  paypal stopped money transfer from him to me, although I had money on my paypal already. Now the buyer claims he didn't authorize this transaction. 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.