refund not completed

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor

I am struggling to understand if I will get my money back or not, in total £1200 over two instalments for an item not received.

I raised a claim through paypal, the seller agreed to refund through paypal. Today I got two emails from paypal, first to say the claim was decided in my favour and I would be refunded, allowing 5 days for it to arrive in my account. Instantly I received another email to say the refund wasn't completed and I should contact the seller. 

The seller emailed me her transaction email to show the refund had gone through, she may have received a second email to tell her it failed I don't know but she isn't showing me that.

My paypal activity shows the refund as completed (!) even though they emailed to say it wasn't. The case has been closed so I can't do anything that end, what happens now? Will I get my money back at all? My balance shows as zero in my paypal account and I have checked my bank account but it's not there. This has been going on for about 10 days now and I was informed via the dashboard on day 2 it was decided in my favour when the seller agreed to the refund.

Please can someone tell me if this is how it works? I find it odd the transaction shows as refunded when an email shows it as not. I'm worrying how I will ever be able to make a case against them if the paypal transaction shows as refunded and complete when it really hasn't. 

Any advice would be apprecaited about what to do next, I have tried to ring paypal but the automated service says as the transaction was more than so many days I need to do it online. I cannot reopen the case either. It's a big amount of money for me, I am so stressed I have no idea what to do next as I'm not sure what is going on!

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you in advance and my name is Karie by the way.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@artbykarieann

How did you FUND the paypal payment to the seller in the first place, was it bank transfer or a debit or credit card?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor

It was a debit card, I have checked my accountm it's not even pending in there. If you're going to tell me it should go directly into my bank account, why would paypal email to tell me it wasn't completed and to contact the seller directly for my money? I don't understand that, if that's the case it's just caused complete havoc! 

Thanks for taking the time to reply by the way 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@artbykarieann

If you funded the original paypal payment to the seller with a debit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c (paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor
I understand that but I had an email from paypal to say it failed and to contact the seller myself so bearing that in mind, am I getting a refund? If it goes to my bank account why do I need to contact the seller? She has gone mad and hurling emails at me I cannot repeat. I don't know if I should be going to small claims court or not Don't fancy just waiting a week to see if it arrives either. I am so confused! Thank you
Login to Me Too

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor

It now says removed, can you explain please? I've looked it up and seems they had no funding maybe? I can't raise it as a claim as it already was but even though Paypal has 'removed' the refund, they have closed the case. What does this mean please?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi artbykarieann and welcome, 

So sorry to hear that you have been having such issues. It sounds like your seller initiated a refund and that refund failed. This can happen if your seller cancels the refund from their bank or does not have enough funds to cover the cost of the refund. I would recommend to contact us directly so we can have this looked in to for you. You can contact us by phone or email by clicking on the help&contact link at the bottom of any PayPal page. You can also contact us on Facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter @AskPayPal. 

I hope this helps

Paula 

Login to Me Too

LiGM
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, sorry to ressurect this, but I've had the same thing happen to me and PayPal are not being at all helpful. Did you get this resolved? I have no idea what to do next, so please share your experience.
Login to Me Too

artbykarieann
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, their system sent out the wrong email to say the refund could not be completed in error (very odd for an automated system!) so I spoke to them in person. Vaguely remember you ring their automated phone and say 'agent' to bypass it and be put through, that's where I found out it had in fact gone through although they didn't send me any proof but it turned up back in my bank about a week later. Was a fair bit of money and I was a bit stressed for a while! Wishing you luck, you may get further if you speak to someone in person.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.