refund after 60 days

jill_gl
Contributor
Contributor

i have a customer who returned an ebay purchased item in July, without explanation or without going through the correct channels.

I attempted to contact the customer to ask if they had returned it, or had they even received it, as the package seemed to be unopened., but got no reply.

They emailed me today asking why I hadn't processed the refund.

Now, the package was returned about 10 days after I originally sent it, so it just about conforms to the 7 day cooling off period under DSR's, and I am comfortable with giving a full refund, but I am unable to do this with paypal (without losing out further) as more than 60 days have elapsed since the orifginal transaction.

If i just send money, i not only have to pay the original fees, but have to pay an additional fee to paypal, so that the net amount received by the customer is the original amount paid, so I am doubly out of pocket.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

PayPal_david

Hi Joll_gl,

Unfortunately, this may be a great inconvenience for you Smiley Sad.

The refund facility is only available to sellers for up to 60 days after the payment has been received in to their PayPal account. It will be possible for you to get the original fees refunded back, but you will need to use the 'Send Money' tab to refund the payment back to your buyer.

When you have refunded the payment to your buyer using the 'Send Money' tab on your PayPal account, you should then try and contact us directly. Once we can see that the payment is a refund for the original transaction, we should have the ability to refund both payment fees for you Smiley Happy.

David.

Login to Me Too

jill_gl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

I can do that, but I have 2 further questions.

1. How do I calculate the payment required so that the buyer gets the full refund, after fees are deducted.

2. Is there a helpful url you cangive me so I can chase up the fee refund straight away, and can i refer to this post as evidence ?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there jill_gl,

As we are going to cancel the fees charged you just need to send on the amount you wish to refund and not worry about calculating the fees (as they are going to be cancelled anyway! Smiley Happy)

If you make the payment as soon as you can and post a message on here that it is done. I will then get an email to say you have posted in this message, as soon as I see this I can sort the fees for you on both sides.

I hope this information helps you

Wayne

Login to Me Too

celticmick42

I see how I can refund after the 60 day refund tme, but do I have an obligation to?

I knew from what the buyer purchased that he misunderstood the item, so I sent him and email informing him and asking if he wanted a refund. He never responded until the other day (over 70 days later) cursing at me and demanding a refund. I was wonderng if I still had an obligation to refund a purchase he ignored for over 70 days?

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Buyers only get 45 days within which to initiate a dispute. However, they do get a further 20 days to escalate to a claim, I guess it is safe to say if no dispute is raised within 45 days unless you voluntarilly refund after this date your money is safe! Providing of course you are not subject to a credit card chargeback!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Hi there celticmick42,

As classy-diva mentioned, after the 45 days you have no obligation to refund unless you wanted to yourself. Nobody would be able to force you one way or the other on PayPal.

I hope this information helps you

Wayne

Login to Me Too

mikemef

Hello,

if I use the 'Send Money' option to issue a refund on a 90 day old transaction, does that show as a 'refund' that will cover us in the event that the buyer ends up issuing a chargeback in the future even though they received the send money refund? 

And how long does someone even have to chargeback when they used a credit card?

Thank you for your assistance-

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

YOu have to link the initial transaction with the refunded i.e put in the original transaction id. So you would put refund for transaction ID on then the date.

However, you could still get a chargeback, chargeback's from the US can be initiated up to a year after payment, in the UK it is between 90 and 120 days.

Login to Me Too

darkteria
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i havent recived  item. i report sellers until 45 days, his answer is wait just a little. After that he agree to refund me the money. Now say he have no option on paypal after 60 days to refund me the money. If use the buton on paypal " send money", the case is closed ? What we should do?

Thanx for answer
Bostjan

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.