invalid email address for paypal payment

skisshe
New Community Member

i have sent a payment and the seller informs me that it is an invalid email. now they are telling me to cancel the payment which has already gone out of my bank account because their email account is the wrong one. i don't know where the money has gone but the seller is telling me to contact paypal to get them to refund it. i'm not sure whether this is right and i'm not sure what to do, i have cancelled the payment and paypal says it can take 30 days to go back into my account - not sure why this takes so long. so is there anyone that knows the answer, will i get my refund and should the seller be doing anything as i seem to be doing everything when this is their fault! they want me to let them know when i have done this and then they will send me an email address for payment - is this right? can i just cancel the whole transaction and buy from a different seller? anybody know the answers?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_AdrianO

Hey there,

This happens a lot because sellers forget to update their address on their listings. If you have cancelled the payment and paid using Instant Bank Transfer then the funds will appear on your PayPal balance 5 to 7 working days after the payment was initiated. If you used a debit/credit card the funds will appear on the card 2 to 3 working days after the cancellation.

If you wish to pay them again then you can do so using the Send Money tab and their correct email address. Once the payment is marked as ‘Goods’ you will be covered under Buyer Protection.

Login to Me Too

Ged9
New Community Member

Think you avoided the 30 day question, please explain?

Login to Me Too

Charlottebrooke
Contributor
Contributor
Hey i sent money to a not existing email as the seller made a typo how do i cancel the money sent?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Intars

Hi Charlottebrooke,

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. Some payments can be cancelled while others cannot. You may only cancel a payment in your 'Pending' payments which shows as Unclaimed, meaning it hasn’t reached the intended recipient. These payments are displayed with a ‘Cancel’ button alongside. If a payment is “Completed” this means the money has already reached the other party, so it can’t be cancelled. You may still ask the recipient for a refund. If you’re refused a refund, but feel that you’re entitled to one, you can open a dispute to discuss this with the seller via the Resolution Centre. If this doesn’t help you can escalate your dispute to a claim, for PayPal to resolve if necessary.

Intars

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.