help with a buyer requesting a refind through paypal.....

watermelon76
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I sold an item over the xmas period and posted it standard 1st class, along with other parcels for various buyers, everyone else got theirs no problem.

This buyer has opened a dispute wanting a refund stating they haven't recieved their item (it wasn't of high value but that's not the point).

The payment is on hold and due to be refunded on the 13th of January, I sent them proof of postage and a follow up message asking if they recieved the parcel but got no response.

I don't think it's fair how they get to keep my stuff which is worth more than they paid for it plus get a full refund and ignore me in the process.

How do I go about stopping a refund or put a complaint forward? or should I just suck it up and put it down to a bad experience? It's not about the money but the principle of the matter and the cheek of people taking liberties.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@watermelon76

So a buyer paid you for an item that appears to have been lost in the post and you think they should not get their money back??

If you bought something online and it did not turn up presumably you don't expect a refund??

Proof of postage is just proof you posted it and not proof the buyer received it. And the fact that others did receive their items is meaningless unless they are all living in the same building.

The onus is on you to prove delivery with a tracking number OR refund.

You don't have to send trackable but its your risk and not the buyers.

For items under a certain amount I don't bother with tracking either but then if a buyer says they did not get the item i will refund them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@watermelon76

So a buyer paid you for an item that appears to have been lost in the post and you think they should not get their money back??

If you bought something online and it did not turn up presumably you don't expect a refund??

Proof of postage is just proof you posted it and not proof the buyer received it. And the fact that others did receive their items is meaningless unless they are all living in the same building.

The onus is on you to prove delivery with a tracking number OR refund.

You don't have to send trackable but its your risk and not the buyers.

For items under a certain amount I don't bother with tracking either but then if a buyer says they did not get the item i will refund them.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

watermelon76
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I will give them a refund although I do think they got the stuff, missing parcels don't happen very often either. I have never encountered this in the years  I have used ebay. Just people taking liberties.

They just chose to be impatient over the xmas period with post office closures. Considering I was ignored when I asked twice if they recieved the item it annoys me that people just take things and get a full refund and i'm losing out. Hardly fair.  I'm sure others will see things from my point of view.

I won't be using ebay again. Thats put me off.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@watermelon76

Fair enough but can you prove that they did not get their item?

And if you can't then do you think its fair that you don't refund?

How would you feel if you were the buyer and did not get an item and the seller refused to refund you?

No it does not happen very often but I have had to file a dispute for an item not received from a seller.

If you are selling on ebay or anywhere else you just have to take into consideration that you are going to get the odd transaction that goes awry.

Its a bit like a shop in the high street, they don't close down because they get one shop-lifter !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.