claim closed despite obvious theft!

ksclark3522
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item online from a seller in the US, paid $104.70 by Paypal. Seller then emailed me a link to another Paypal screen, saying I needed to pay another $80 because I live in the UK and the shipping is another $80! I told the seller this was uneconomic, and asked to cancel the order and refund my payment. He didn't do this, I asked several times and nothing happened, so I raised a dispute with Paypal. 

Seller has claimed he has sent the item and it has been delivered (he hasn't, obviously, and it hasn't been delivered) he has provided UPS tracking number which is a delivery to an address in the US, which shows it was delivered on 20th December 2017 - my order/payment was made on 5th January 2018!

Paypal have reviewed this and closed the case in favour of the seller, so I am now $104.70 out of pocket - I find this unbelievable, to be honest. 

What can I do, as Paypal have closed the case and the seller won't refund my payment. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ksclark3522
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass,

Thanks for that, I have managed to get through on the phone and they are reopening the case. Quite how they didn't spot that when they "reviewed" the case I don't know. 

I'll give it a few days and see what happens

Kev (Emmet, regular Crantock visitor )

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ksclark3522

Give customer services a call and appeal it citing what you have said here, they can re-open the dispute for you because you are correct that is daft.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top. Log in and get the code.
When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR just say the word 'Agent'".
In the UK its free from any landline phone.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

ksclark3522
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass,

Thanks for that, I have managed to get through on the phone and they are reopening the case. Quite how they didn't spot that when they "reviewed" the case I don't know. 

I'll give it a few days and see what happens

Kev (Emmet, regular Crantock visitor )

Login to Me Too

ksclark3522
Contributor
Contributor

Just to provide closure to this, Paypal looked into the case again and issued a credit to me for the full amount - whether they paid this themselves or got the money back from the thief, I don't know. At least I'm not out of pocket. Thanks very much for your help. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi ksclark3522, 

Glad to hear this was resolved for you and thanks so much for taking the time to update your post. I am sure it will help other members. 

Thanks 

Paula 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.