Seller told to avoid being scammed

MarkG1234
Contributor
Contributor

I have an item on gumtree, and someone has shown interest and they want to pay by PayPal, what good practices should i take to avoid getting scammed?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

MarkG1234
Contributor
Contributor

Auto correct went mental. Topic should be: Seller TIPS to avoid being scammed

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkG1234

Well you should READ up on seller protection in the user agreement before starting to sell.

BUT  >>

be very careful as lot of scam merchants about. >>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. A lot of scammers encourage you to accept a paypal payment and if you don't have an account ask you to open one.

2. Do not get scammed via spoof emails that look as if they are from paypal.

3. Never send anything unless the funds are showing in your paypal account balance, even if you are a new seller and subject to the new seller hold the funds would still show in your balance but have pending by them.

4. Do NOT send anything to Nigeria or similar.

5. Do not be fooled by you so called buyer and "paypal" telling you that you either have to >>>

a. Send the item and provide a tracking number BEFORE the funds show in your balance.

. You have to pay the buyers shipping agent via western union or moneygram before his payment that is supposed to include these costs are credited to you.

6. Remember sellers send invoices and not buyers so if you get an invoice "marked as gift / paid" and saying it won't show in your balance for 24 hours or that your payment can't be the subject of a chargeback.....its a scam.

If in doubt come here and ask.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MarkG1234
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks, that's a great start, and exactly​ what i was after, real world specific scams,  not generalisations

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkG1234

Your welcome, glad i was around and saw your post.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.