Seller ignoring requests for refund, despite returning item

JoniM

Hi everyone,

I bought a clothing item from a seller's independent website. The item arrived, but it was too large and so I asked the seller how I could return for a refund.

This is when the fun and games started. I sent the seller at least 5 emails over four week, with no response, tried calling their defunct telephone number on their website numerous times, and eventually said that if I didn't hear back from them within 24 hours, I would escalate the claim.

Lo and behold, I get an almost immediate response that states to send the item back (at my expense) for a full refund within 24 hours. As instructed, I returned the item via tracked post, and I can see the item was signed for and received at the correct address on 31 March. Since then, I have been emailing the seller once again for my refund, but he is ignoring all my emails. In essence, this is daylight robbery – the seller promised me a refund within 24 hours if I returned the item; he now has the item, and my money, and it's been 20 days since he received the item, over 2 months since he received my money, but still no refund. I believe the seller is operating a cowboy operation and ignoring all the rules of online distance selling, as I have never, ever had such problems with an item purchased online.

I want to make a claim through Paypal, but I am unsure how to do this – how do I go about this?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Joni

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoniM

OK then you can open a dispute via the ''resolve a problem'' link lower left of your paypal summary page.

You would need to file for item received but not as described and hope paypal find in your favour.

Put in clearly and concisely what has happened INCLUDING the tracking number of your returned item and when you get the option escalate it to a claim for paypal to sort.

It may be that when you open the dispute the seller will refund BUT DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE until you have a cleared refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoniM

You said earlier in your post that if the seller did not respond you would ''escalate to a claim''..............if thats so then surely you have already opened a dispute??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JoniM

kernowlass, thank you for your quick response.

The seller did finally respond to the email stating that I would escalate the claim – the seller said to return the item and the refund would be processed within 24 hours of receipt. I therefore didn't escalate the claim nor open a dispute, as I expected, as the seller stated in their email, that the refund would be processed within 24 hours of receipt (I should mention that this string of emails was direct through the seller channels, not Paypal).

However, now the seller is ignoring emails regarding the refund, I want to raise a dispute through Paypal, as they have had the item for over 2 weeks yet there is still no refund.

I can see there are two options for raising a dispute – can you please advise which option I should use, bearing in mind that the seller now has the item and my money?

Many thanks,

Joni

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JoniM

OK then you can open a dispute via the ''resolve a problem'' link lower left of your paypal summary page.

You would need to file for item received but not as described and hope paypal find in your favour.

Put in clearly and concisely what has happened INCLUDING the tracking number of your returned item and when you get the option escalate it to a claim for paypal to sort.

It may be that when you open the dispute the seller will refund BUT DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE until you have a cleared refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

JoniM

kernowlass, thank you so much! This is perfect – I really appreciate your help and I'll follow your instructions straightaway. Fingers crossed the seller responds.

Many, many thanks,

Joni

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.