Scammed, payment never left paypal but was 'pending', now cancelled, refund is also...pending. Why?

kittymeow0000
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I am pretty fed up, I bought a Microwave on ebay from a seller with 100 per cent feedback, nothing happened for about a week, I checked my paypal every day but it was 'payment pending' on both ebay and paypal. Usually takes three days for paypal to take from my bank via transfer, so three days later the money left my bank and put me into overdraft. I usually don't buy things when it will make me overdrawn but a microwave breaking is a big problem everyday so I broke my rule and have been being charged interest for this every day since the payment left.

Received an email from ebay a week after I paid saying this was probably a compromised account so I cancelled on Paypal, rang them to confirm and they said it will take seven days...well, THANKS.

So now I neither have a microwave nor the funds to buy a new one and my bank is merrily charging me interest every day. To add insult to injury there is not even a paypal 'balance' so paypal is still processing other transactions if I make them and queuing them up to take from my bank despite having the money from this 'refund' that they are stalling refunding me.

I'm sorry but this is awful, an awful system. I feel I am being punished for this scam seller despite it not really being my fault since they had 100 per cent feedback for selling similar products, so how I am supposed to know their account has been 'compromised'?

Are there any plans to change this system? And please do not blame my bank - my bank cannot even see the refund so they can't hurry it along. I use paypal with ebay as I know I will get my payments back in cases like this where it turns out to be a scam, but it seems when it is REALLY a scam and the seller has no interest in involving themselves in the process that it just ends up in limbo for forever. The payment never reached this scam seller so why was it even taken from my bank in the first place? Seems to me like they must have known it was a scam and shut this down a whole lot earlier.

I'm guessing no one is going to pay me back the interest on my overdraft so the real loser is me, right? 😞

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kittymeow0000

Well you were the one that decided to overdraw your bank account, not paypal.

Those funds can't do a u-turn once you have authorised payment > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Thats why paypal normally credit your seller in advance and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer, but with a refund / cancellation you have to take the wait. Paypal can't give you funds they don't have.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kittymeow0000
Contributor
Contributor

That's kind of rude - I 'decided' to overdraw my bank to get a new microwave, not to have funds sitting in limbo and no new microwave. I would have happily paid the interest if I had a new microwave, but I don't and I don't even have the funds to get one from somewhere else while I wait out the resolution. It's not acceptable. If it's three days to take it (or instant if I use it card), then it should be three days/instant to refund it.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kittymeow0000

Well kinda rude to blame paypal for the fact you are paying overdraft charges per day when it was your choice really i guess?

Then you carry on blaming the 'system' when its working how it should, as I said Paypal can't refund your payment until they receive it themselves.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kittymeow0000
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not interested in what you think about how I manage my finances, you're not being helpful and I don't really understand why you're defending an awful system when you don't even work for them. Please don't comment again.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kittymeow0000

Not defending them, just stating the FACTS of how the system works, the system you agreed to when you opened your paypal account.

You felt free to slag them off unjustly so why shouldn't I defend them when on this occasion they have done nothing wrong?

As for your finances if you don't want them mentioned then don't put how much its costing you in interest charges in your opening post.

And I will comment when I want to.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kittymeow0000
Contributor
Contributor

No way of blocking abusive/unpleasant people on here? That's terrible, and this guy seems determined to continue to comment even though s/he's been told not to and that their response is unwelcome. I don't really understand why someone would do that, it's bullying behaviour. I'm unsubscribing so I don't have to read their responses. I think it is kind of pathetic, they should find something else to do with their time other than defending corporations and getting 'offended' on their behalf when poor people who are living hand to mouth get upset because they've been ripped off by 'slagging them off'.

I can't seem to find a way to block this person or even delete my account, please when someone from Paypal comes on here, can you delete it and this thread for me, please? This has not been helpful or a nice experience, I will continue to try to resolve this over the telephone instead. You really should have a way that people can disengage from other people that they do not feel are being kind or helpful without having to leave the forum completely. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kittymeow0000

No you can't block unpleasant posters that slag off Paypal for their own mistake sadly.

And why do you think you can respond to a thread but feel that I don't have that right as well?

You seems very one sided in your dealings and everyone is wrong but you hey?

Yes you can get your posts removed if you want to and you don't like the facts being pointed out to you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.