SCAMMED!!

Money_Melissa1
Contributor
Contributor

Last week or so, i made a payment through paypal because i am hesitant of getting scammed in bank transfers and thought paypal would be "safe and secure" as they always mention. I paid a sum of £170 to the buyer and was told my item would come in 2-3 days. I kept in contact with the buyer through social media, still waiting for my item (concert tickets). It started to become suspicious as i kept contacting him on numerous occasions about where my item was or whether it had even been posted yet and he never texted me once for example "your package is on its way" etc. It's now been a week since my payment and im pretty sure ive been SCAMMED because i texted him today wondering when my tickets would arrive and he simply blocked me on all social media contacts that i had of him. Im really paranoid now that I've paid £170 for no reason and im desperate to get my money back!! I paid through paypal but i used my credit card by the way. PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME RESOLVE THIS BEFORE I CALL PAYPAL!!

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

Sarthakepix1
Contributor
Contributor

This should be straightforward refund if u bought through goods and services. If u did then make resolution case, call PayPal to ask how by asking the machine for agent if u want to speak to person in real. Has the seller uploaded a tracking order if he hasn't u will 100% win case as seller can't prove he sent it. If u however paid through friends and family you cannot get your money back.

Login to Me Too

Money_Melissa1
Contributor
Contributor

yes i brought from goods and services which is why i think i can 100% get my money back. I called PAYPAL yesterday through the machine responder and i found it so difficult to get a REAL PERSON to answer the phone but ill try again today...because i brought from social media, i didnt recieve any tracking order just a message like "you will recieve it next week" which i havent. Do you think i can still get a refund regardless?

Login to Me Too

daver22
Contributor
Contributor

Similar topic for me. Recently i was scammed. I got strange text message with some proposed to buy some cosmetics. The scammer was from Finland. I used one special service https://areaphonecodes.com/finland/ and checked the phone code. I think we need to be attentive and do not reply on weird messages from strangers.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Money_Melissa1

Paypal is never totally safe, you need to read up on buyer protection first before you start using it so you can risk assess your transactions.

I suspect as the sale was via social media that you may have been conned into paying using the friends / family option, is that correct?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Money_Melissa1
Contributor
Contributor

No i never chose the family-friend selection i chose the other one which is why im hoping i can get my money back because ultimately im paying for nothing...its so annoying

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Money_Melissa1

Open a dispute then for non receipt of item ny clicking on the transaction in your paypal account and using the resolve a problem link bottom of that 'details' page.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Money_Melissa1
Contributor
Contributor

What if the seller does not reply? Because im pretty sure he's gonna fully ignore me and everyt message i send him to resolve this.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Money_Melissa1

Then escalate to a claim for paypal to sort for you. If the seller can't provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to you then you 'should' if you met buyer protection get a refund from paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Money_Melissa1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you..ill try to do that however it all sounds very complicated, ill try my best to get my money back and have the better outcome. Now thinking about it, he used a very unusual email address which im worried will affect me getting a refund! I'll still try though

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.