Refund on closed bank account

eff83
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, ​I have recently closed a UK bank account with top-up debit card linked. Later I have received a refund via Paypal (please see below), addressed to such top-up card. The problem is that the card does not exist anymore. The bank says transactions will not take place, but when I called Paypal phone number I was told they can’t do anything and it’s up to my bank. This is very disappointing as it means paypal holds my money and I can’t withdraw my money for them (?) Can you please help me out with that, thank you very much.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi there eff83,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! 

In general, if the payment was initially funded with a credit card, the refund will be issued to the same card. Once the refund has left PayPal and you see it as 'Completed' in your PayPal account History, it means that it should be up to your bank to track those funds once the debit card has been disabled. 

If you chose to pay with your bank account in the first place, though, the refund will be issued to your PayPal account which should not affect your top-up card. 

Here you can find more information on how to track your refund. 

If you still need help, please feel free to contact our Customer Service. If you would like to call in, you can find the correct phone number for your country by clicking 'Help & Contact' at the bottom of the PayPal homepage and then clicking 'Call customer support'. You can also contact us on Facebook or on Twitter using @AskPayPal. 

Hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.