PayPal_john
Moderator PayPal_john Moderator
Kudos: 43

Refund FAQ's

[ Edited ]

We've received a lot of queries and a fair bit of misinformation seems to be going around about this so i'm going to summarise in this here thread:

1) First of all you have to determine where the money came from:

A) Card (including debit cards)

B) Bank (NOT a debit card, this is a payment via a direct debit with your bank account. Also known as bank funding or instant transfer or eCheque)

C) PayPal balance.

2)  you need to check the refund status, if the status is refund completed but a temporary hold has been 'placed' on it then read this thread:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Refunds-and-cancellations/Is-your-refund-placed-on-a-temporary-h...

if the status is 'pending' this means the seller has asked us to refund the payment, they didn't have enough money in their paypal account and we are requesting it from their bank. This will take 5-7 working days to process (usually 5), I believe it's quicker if the seller is in the USA.

if the status is 'completed' and a temporary hold has not been placed or the hold is released, then continue to step 3

3) Once the refund is completed the money is credited back in the following ways, depending on where the money came from:

A) Card  - refund is sent to the card that day. It is then up to your bank to process the funds back to the appropriate account. Usually this takes anywhere from 24 hours to 5 working days.

B) Bank - refund is credited to your PayPal balance. If you want to put it back in your bank account you can click on 'withdraw'

C) PayPal Balance - refund is credited back to your PayPal balance

If a payment is sent as a mixture of Card and PayPal Balance then the appropriate funds will be credited back to the card and the rest to the balance.

Finally if the status of the refund is removed then this means that the seller requested a refund but their bank declined our request for funds. You should either contact them to find out why this happened or start a dispute for the payment.

irenecee
irenecee Member
Kudos: 11

Re: Refund FAQ's

Yes,yes,yes but it still does not justify why people are waiting up to 30 days to receive their own money back.  Come on Pay pal be honest and stop holding onto our refunds to gain interest.  They money does not belong to you, just pay up!

PayPal_john

[ Edited ]

Hi Irenecee,

as per the above details there should be no reason why a refund would take 30 days to be received if it has been issued successfully.

Can you please explain the situation you are in where you are being told by PayPal that you would have to wait up to 30 days before we process your refund?

jester101
jester101 New Community Member
New Community Member
Kudos: 2

im having the same problem awarded a refund on the 1/12/2010 and still not recived anything not even a reply to the many emails  grrrrrrr come on guys

shells
shells Member
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

im having the same problem as all three of you, im still waiting for my money to refunded, my account sayes completed but still no money in site????  why is this taking so long??? is very frustrating if it sayes completed then surely my money should be back in my payal account.

Ted-1
Ted-1 Contributor
Contributor

Re: WHERE IS MY REFUND? 

Hi Pay_pal John,

Thanks for your Info this is from Louise your virtual Agent

How long does it take for a refund to appear on my credit card?

Refunds to your card can take up to 30 days depending on the issuing bank.

When a refund or partial refund is made, when a payment is cancelled or when a payment is reversed or denied, the funding source of the original payment determines how the refund is credited.

• For payments funded with a bank account or PayPal balance, the refund is credited to the PayPal balance
  • For payments funded by a credit or debit card, the refund is credited to that card
  • For payments funded with a card and another funding source, PayPal refunds the card portion to the card and the remainder to the PayPal balance

Now I am starting to get concerned...26 Days and still waiting  Is there some one that can investigate may issue of Refund, or do I just Wait.?

As I stated, this did not happen when I had a Refund 2 years ago and  I am still using the same account and method of payment.

0 Kudos
PayPal_john

[ Edited ]

Ah, ok. In my experience refunds to cards take around 3 working days,

As far as I know this is to do with our agreement with card companies. Two things about that:

1) Out of the thousands of refunds i've dealt with i've had customers maybe twice who told me it took as long as 30 days to complete successfully.

2) This is not a PayPal process nor a PayPal decision, this would be the agreement we have to accept with the card companies to even use their services. Once it says 'completed' it has left the PayPal system.

I suspect it's mainly there to cover unexpected circumstances where huge delays occur which, as I said, i've almost never seen it happen. I'll pass on to the guys who work with the virtual agent that maybe we should get the wording changed so it doesn't imply that it will probably take 30 days. Thanks for that :smileyhappy:

Finally, if you want to believe that there is a banker somewhere who is making interest on these refunds then that's ok. There may well be but it's got nothing to do with the refund being processed on the PayPal system, which is all we can deal with here on the forum.

0 Kudos
Ted-1
Ted-1 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Paypal_John

1) Out of the thousands of refunds i've dealt with i've had customers maybe twice who told me it took as long as 30 days to complete successfully.

Just my luck to be the 3rd one!!

2) This is not a PayPal process nor a PayPal decision, this would be the agreement we have to accept with the card companies to even use their services. Once it says 'completed' it has left the PayPal system.

Would this include bank account also?

Finally, if you want to believe that there is a banker somewhere who is making interest on these refunds then that's ok. There may well be but it's got nothing to do with the refund being processed on the PayPal system, which is all we can deal with here on the forum

Ouch I do get your point.... 4 more days to go.....if not! as our Pal Big Arnie says "Ill be Back":smileywink:

Ted-1
Ted-1 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Paypal_John,

For your intervention I see where the refund came and went, good to know you guys are out there,

Back to school for me to study arithmetic!:smileywink:

0 Kudos
diseone
diseone New Community Member
New Community Member
Kudos: 0

OK I've read through all the previous but my situation hasn't seemed to have come up, I've had a refund from a seller, which was saying Pending until the 5th of November, come the 5th and I still didn't have the refund, so I contacted Paypal (not easy to do) and was told that was only 5days and as the seller has returned the funds to you by eCheck it will take up to 7days to return the money so you should receive it either today (8th) or tomorrow (9th) well ir's now the 13th and I still have had no refund. Then when I check the refund status it says Removed!!! what does that mean and when am I likely to finally get my much needed money back?

0 Kudos