Re-open a closed dispute?

Liamljm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

About a week ago i purchased a virtual item known as a "runescape account" for $50. However after 3 days the account was taken back by the seller and no refund was given. I opened a dispute but then accidently closed it, and now when i try to re-open one it wont let me. Is there anyway of re-opening the dispute? Is there any way of getting my money back?

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

Liamljm
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, not trying to sound childish but why has "paypal barry" replyed to 5 threads that came after myn but ignored myn?

Login to Me Too

Liamljm
Contributor
Contributor

bump - until i get an answer

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi there Liamljm,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to re-open a dispute once it has been closed Smiley Sad. We would never advise a customer to close a dispute before the issue has been resolved. When you are closing the dispute, you are advised two or three times that if you close the dispute, it can't be re-opened.

The best advice that I can give you is for you to contact your bank or credit card company in order to see if they can provide protection on your purchase. If the funds were sent from your PayPal balance, I can only suggest that you try contacting your local police and also your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

I'm sorry that there is nothing more that I can do for you Smiley Sad.

David.

Login to Me Too

mojo-chan
Contributor
Contributor

So what you are saying is that once a PayPal dispute is opened you should never ever close it until the time limit runs out because if you subsequently discover a problem you won't be able to do anything about it.

Oh, and on the last day of the dispute you should escalate it to a claim just in case, and drag that out for as long as possible too.

Thanks for the advice. I will do that in future on all eBay items just before the cut-off date. Anything after that can still be charged-back via credit card of course. Actually in some ways a bank transfer is safer because the bank has to reverse it if asked, no questions asked.

Login to Me Too

agent010
New Community Member

WHY, WHY.

There can't be a redispute button or something like that??? Smiley Sad

Is there any way to get my money back because I've been fooled to cancel my dispute?
I'll paid with my PayPal balance....

Login to Me Too

mojo-chan
Contributor
Contributor

There is no way to get your money back now, sorry. You have been ripped off.

NEVER PAY FOR ANYTHING WITH YOUR PAYPAL BALANCE because there is no protection if dispute resoltion fails, where as if you pay by credit card or bank transfer you can get your bank to refund you if PayPal refuses.

NEVER EVER LEAVE MONEY IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT! Always withdraw it immediately. If you don't and the other party files a dispute it will be locked and you could lose it.

Unfortunately openig a dispute tends to freeze the sellers PayPal account, but there is no other way for a buyer to protect themselves. PayPal needs to increase the amount of time you can open a dispute to 2 years, which is the minimum warranty period in the EU. Really it should be longer than that because the law in the UK allows for resitution up to the expected lifetime of the product, but 2 years is the absolute minimum. They also need to let you open new disputes instead of only one.

Login to Me Too

coolabah
New Community Member

wtf u got millions of users and u cant help out ur customers  even if its errors and closes the dispute by error thats really  stupid

Login to Me Too

Danbayfield

[quote]I can only suggest that you try contacting your local police and also your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

I'm sorry that there is nothing more that I can do for you .

David.[/quote]

No david this is not all you can do for him, if the seller is overseas and the buyer is not in the same country, CITIZEN'S ADVICE and the LOCAL police will do nothing to help the customer. you fail the customer as a service provider because you don't have the man power to chase up petty criminals and you couldn't give a flying monkeys about the people who get ripped off ether. 

but hey thats my 2 cents as they say. 

bloody unbeleiavavble. 

Login to Me Too

a_mastbroek
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for this answer, this is what I was looking for. I will not close a dispute untill it is solved.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.