Paypal refund

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

Please help...

Last night I paid by paypal for an item but was advised I had paid incorrectly and that the payment could take up to 21 days to clear to them? They refunded the payment and asked me to pay again another way through paypal. I have since tried to do this and it says the funds are not there meaning that the refund has not cleared. How long will the refund take to clear?

How in the future can I make sure that payments are paid straight?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

You did nothing wrong, the 21 day hold is for NEW SELLERS.

The seller only gets his money when you receive the item and leave feedback or it gets to 22 days and you have not raised a dispute.

So personally i would not bother paying with this seller again as the same things will happen.

As for your cancelled funds they take a few days to process through to paypal who then send them back to your funding source.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response but I have been using paypal for many years and therefore I do not class msyelf as a new customer.

I appreciate you saying do not pay this person again but I want to pay the person this money so I can receive the goods..

Is this always going to happen when i make a paypal payment now?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

I just realised you said NEW SELLER. The problem is not me it's the seller. If I trust the seller I suppose the only way to pay and they get it nstantly then is by bank transfer???

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Please re-read my post.

I thought i clearly said that it was NOT YOUR account that was a problem.

The 21 day hold IS TO DO WITH THE SELLER OR THE PERSON YOU ARE SENDING MONEY TO.

THEY ARE THE ONES THAT ARE NEW AND THAT IS WHY THE PAYMENT YOU SENT TO THEM IS BEING HELD.

They should not have refunded your money, they should have sent your item and then the payment you paid them would have been released when you left them feedback OR at 21 days if you did not leave them feedback.

That is why i said don't re-pay them, the money will be put on hold again and the same thing will happen BUT ITS NOT YOUR ACCOUNT ITS THE SELLERS AS THEY ARE NEW.  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

We cross posted  Smiley Happy

I would not pay  them by bank transfer, you will have no paypal protection at all.

The reason the seller has the payment hold is that they are new and have not proven themselves as good sellers.

So paypal hold their payments for YOUR protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmm OK thank you again for your response.

How do I prevent a payment being made as an echeque as I have had this problem before which was not accepted and then refunded because it would take too long to clear and the seller was not happy to wait.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well if it was the 21 day hold then the echeque had nothing to do with it.

BUT a seller on ebay is not allowed to refuse any paypal payment and an echeque is a paypal payment so they are not allowed to refuse it.....they can be as unhappy as they like but when you pay with an echeque you have still paid.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Designpurchaser
Contributor
Contributor

No it wasn't to a seller on ebay it was a 21 day hold to a private person.

But...in tha past I have paid via paypal, money to someone and it went as an echeque? How I stop that happening again?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The new seller holds apply to sellers on and off ebay.

However as regards the echeque, an echeque is sent when the person sending it does not have a back up card registered on paypal as well.

This is because when you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal credits the seller for you and then starts the process of uploading your funds from your funding source > this is so you get your item more quickly.

HOWEVER they will only do this if you have a back up card registered on paypal as well to reduce any risk to them of the payment failing.

An echeque is sent when you don't have that back up card or if the back up card has expired and needs up dating.  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.