PayPal refunded 5 months later ?????

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

I sold a microscope back in September last year. The guy collected it and was pleased with the item. It was sold 'as-seen' because it is not an item I have any knowledge about (which I made known in the description and to him). Because I did not list any further items, after a reasonable while I did not bother to check eBay. On December 28th, the guy complained that there was a missing piece. He tried to contact me but as I didn't check my emails I missed the contact. PayPal refunded him and left me £340 overdrawn - surely there is a time limit that he can request a refund????? PLEASE HELP

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pysart07

A buyer has up to 6 months to file a dispute on paypal or via their credit card company.

BUT why would you accept paypal for an item that was collected????

Its the only time on ebay you are allowed to refuse paypal and state cash on collection only and this is because there is no paypal seller protection for items that are collected.

Then you would have had cash in hand and no risk of a dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

He paid for the item within seconds of the auction finish - then arranged for collection, quite understandably as it is a fragile item

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pysart07

Yes i have had buyers do that even though i stated cash on collection only.

BUT i just refunded them and restated cash only when they collected the item and have never had a problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

My eBay transactions and descriptions have always been 100% honest and never a neg feedback, never expected this. I have truly lost an awful lot of faith in PayPal. My seperate account for my business will be looking at another safer payment method.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pysart07

Did the buyer file for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

Or was it a chargeback via their c.c.company?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

As I am not told 'why' they refunded, they just did as I never responded to their email fast enough. I can only assume it was because 'Item not as described'. BUT! As I stated earlier, both in the description and when he collected, I explained that I know nothing about what it does and wether it is all there. This he happily accepted. So I cannot understand why PayPal would do so without letting me know. In fairness they did try contacting me via email but for such a large amount they could have phoned me. They were quick enough to phone me to let me know I was £350 overdrawn!!! Additionally, emails to the purchaser from me are being ignored as I want the item back! He has had his money back, how can it be legal for him to retain the goods? Which is obviously what he is trying to do.

Thankyou for reading

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pysart07

This sometimes works >>>

Tell the buyer that unless he returns the item to you in as good condition as sent you will be filing a claim in the small claims court.

Tell him that he is not entitled to keep both item and funds.

You may not take the risk of carrying out that threat but it sometimes works.

I just don't understand why he was not told to return the item in the first place as if the dispute was for item not described then that is paypals usual requirement.

Also it may be worth phoning paypal again and stating that as it was collected and the buyer had the chance to view it then what right had they to refund???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

Extremely helpful on every count - Thankyou for your time, very appreciated. I have written a long letter to PayPal, but you know as well as I, it's just so frustrating and a lengthy process. Meanwhile I am seething!

Your suggestions are much more direct and constructive. Thankyou again.

Kevin

Login to Me Too

pysart07
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a million - armed with the above advice from the forum (kernowlass), the customer had returned my payment 5 hours after sending my email. Strangely, I also received an email from PayPal rejecting my appeal as 'when delivered it was found not to be as described'?????

They seem to have completely overlooked my clear informative that the buyer collected it in September, approved it, shook hands and didn't complain until mid January? Additionaly, the guy chose to pay rather than return the item, even after I offered to pay for shipping. Had this situation been finalised by PayPal, not this forum, it would have been an unbelievably unfair outcome with the customer retaining both item and monies - I would have been unacceptably cheated and very dissallusioned with the fairness or not of the PayPal resolution system.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.