Need some advise about raising paypal dispute

Deckay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I'm relatively new to PayPal but I've been a fan of how things work although they can be mildly irritating at times.

I bought a laptop (surface book with the pen and charger) from an ebay seller on the 7th of Febuary and I checked it and it was working fine. However, I realized that the pen that he sent was the pen for the Surface Pro 3 (a complete different model). I talked to him about it but decided against a return as it was going to be a lengthy process and it was just a pen. Ultimately, he refunded me 20 quid, from which I was kind enough to accept as I bought a new Pen for the laptop that was worth 40 quid. 

The laptop is working fine except for one bit, under load the battery would not charge and would drain. It wasn't so significant as I wasn't gaming much and had alot of projects due, so I decided to settle the issue later on. After contacting microsoft and all, I just learned that the charger he provided me with was the wrong charger. It was meant for lower end models or even other surface models but not for the model I was having. 

It's past the 30 Day ebay protection window but not yet past the 180 day paypal resolution thing. Any advice on action that I can take? I'm a little cross at this point, albeit I should've checked this much earlier. 

Do I have any options? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Deckay

You have up to 180 days to file a dispute for item received but not as required via paypal.

If and only if paypal find in your favour you may well have to return the item back to the seller at your own expense before you get your refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Deckay
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for responding!

Do you think it's wise to contact the seller for options first?

Also, once I start a dispute, would I be obliged to return it if Paypal finds it in my favor?

I'm new to this, so I'm worried that if I send the laptop back and it reaches the seller, the seller can claim that the product was damaged by me (imposible, since it is my ONLY computer and I;ll be contacting him over all of this), will I have to bear this risk? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.