Monarch airlines

Leighmayhew
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, last week I booked a flight with Monarch airlines to the value of £91. Since then, the company have gone into administration and all flights have been cancelled. Does anyone know whether I am able to make a claim as I paid through PayPal? Thanks, Leigh
Login to Me Too
30 REPLIES 30

DavidH3
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like it's a 20 day wait for a resolution, unless Monarch reply earlier (unlikely as they no longer exist)

If you booked more that 180 days ago can you claim on your travel insurance? That usually has cancellation cover if you've exhausted all other angles.

Login to Me Too

rosemary0608
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, however I've found the solution.

I have just got off the phone with PayPal customer service and they have created the dispute and raised it straight to a claim. This means that the seller (being Monarch) has until the 12th October 2017 to get back to me with the refund, or PayPal will force the payment anyways. This basically means that PayPal's Buyer Protection works, and we will not be losing out on the £££'s that we paid, so long as you phone them to raise the claim as their online resolution centre isn't handling the amount of people trying to open disputes today.

If you want your money back, its best to give them a call.  Their buyer protection is what makes PayPal so great.

Login to Me Too

Iron19
I have just spoken to Customer Service, they have opened a dispute and then escalated to a case straight away as obviously Monarch will not reply. Apparently we are covered and should get a refund within 10 days or earlier if PayPal decides to settle before. I had booked my flight 10 days ago. I hope this helps!
Login to Me Too

Leighmayhew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update @Iron19. I'm supposed tp be having a call back. Will update once I've heard from them 🙂 

Leigh x

Login to Me Too

donkeyroll

I am also not able to raise a dispute as receive the same message "a case is already open" yet have not opened a case.

I can only put this down to a bug in their systems where so many siomilar disputes have been opened, it erroneously thinks one is open for me. I wouldn't wait for them to fix that bug as it could be a long time before it is (if ever) and there are time limits on getting your money back. I'm going to try the following:

* Wait a day or too so that their phone liones are not so busy as I only just booked two ago (don't wait if you booked months ago)

* Phone their helpline and try and get an agent to open the dispute

If I cannot get hold of an agent to open the dispute I will:

* Contact my credit card issuer and say the airline has collapsed and Paypal's website will not allow me to open a dispute or to contact them over it.

Lets hope we can all get our hard earned money back and look forward to our hols!

Login to Me Too

Leighmayhew
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @donkeyroll

I've been in touch with Paypal (called them and they then called me back). I am covered and will be refunded by not next Friday, the following. Good luck everyone! 

Leigh x

Login to Me Too

dlconnol
Contributor
Contributor

now sorted.....just keep going 

Login to Me Too

Holly2017Holly
Contributor
Contributor

still not letting me log a resolution case and says i have one open but i do not as account shows zero cases open!

anyone know why?

Login to Me Too

Leighmayhew
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @Holly2017Holly 

I had the same problem. Have you called them? I'd suggest getting in touch with them. 

Leigh x

Login to Me Too

Dunkmat1971
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update you all on mine which was for 16 flights. 

Tried online like everyone else in resolution centre and wouldnt work. Eventually got through to Customer Services "I WANT TO SPEAK TO AN AGENT" worked. After being put on hold and cut off twice I eventually got through to someone who assisted me. They raised the claim and advised me that there would be no problem in obtaining the refund under "Buyers Protection" as within the 180 day period.

The claim was logged online and within a few minutes advising we have to wait until October 21st for Monarch's response then received another email  advising the claim has been escalated to a claim. 

As Sidney Youngblood advised!! All we can do is sit and wait! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.