Monarch airlines cancelled flights

Costadelaluz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. Does anyone know if I am covered by PayPal for the flights I have paid to Monarcj now they have gone bust? If so what is the procedure to claim. Thank you.

Login to Me Too
37 REPLIES 37

Devaney1
Contributor
Contributor

I phoned PayPal direct.  Go online and log into your PayPal account. Optain PayPal's phone number together with a six digit code which you will imput when you get through to PayPal. Expect long delays. I used the callback system which worked efficiently.  Make sure that you ask the automated switchboard to speak to a PayPal agent or you will get nowhere.

As my flights were purchased with in the last 180 days I was covered by the PayPal protection scheme and have been informed by the PayPal resolution centre that I will receive a full refund within the next 14 days.

Login to Me Too

KMMCKENNA
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that message Devaney, CC company said I am covered but I have to go via PayPal so on hold now waitng to speak to someone, hopefully it will be as straightforward.

Login to Me Too

surfergirl
Contributor
Contributor
Great news !!! Thank you for updating us all....my PayPal is not linked to a credit card...just my bank account so hope I will be refunded
Login to Me Too

KMMCKENNA
Contributor
Contributor

yes you shoudl be surfergirl, as long as the transaction was 180 days or less ago you will be covered by PayPal. Just finished on the phone, very nice lady said don't worry, refund will be back with you in 14 days, they have to give Monarch 13 days to respond even though they know they won't, then the day after she said she would go into my account and issue the refund. Poor lass had been in work since early hours of the morning sorting this.

Login to Me Too

surfergirl
Contributor
Contributor
Great stuff....I can't thru !!!
Login to Me Too

edward500
Contributor
Contributor

It took me a long time to get through but eventually got through to someone in their claims/disputes department who told me '100% guarantee you will get your money back'.  He said I should get it back possibly by the end of the week.  If it hasn't been refunded by then, it will be escalated to some other level.

I bought my flights on Saturday (!) and had planned to travel mid-October.

Login to Me Too

emustac
Contributor
Contributor

I bought the tickets on Saturday too!

I managed to get throught to a person. I called the number I got at https://www.paypal.com/gb/selfhelp/contact/call . To pass the bot on the phone say (maybe few times) "I want to talk to an agent". You'll get through to customer service. You explain why you are calling and then you should be transferred to Claims department. They'll raise the claim on your behalf. If I didn't misunderstood, if Monarch doesn't reponse in 10 days, PayPal shoul cover the refund. I really hope so.

Login to Me Too

kathrynstimp
Contributor
Contributor

All I can say is keep trying. In the main menu say customer advisor rather than explaining the problem. They were great, I think that the dispute section is either crashing or it has been taken down to make sure everything is logged a certain way. I don't know I am guessing. 

I am not sure but a few people have been told that the balance for the transaction is 0 so it may mean that efforts already in place to recoup paypal money. 

The staff although hard to get through to seem fully briefed and are all confirming the refund if within 180 days. Don't forget paypal refunded people after the lowcost airline went bust a while back. 

Login to Me Too

surfergirl
Contributor
Contributor
I got my 2k refunded yesterday !!! Opened my dispute on 2nd October. Delighted.
Login to Me Too

micnur
Contributor
Contributor

@surfergirl

Hi and well done in getting a refund. May I ask when did you booked your flight/flights? Was it within 180 days from logging your claim?

Thanks 

Michael

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.