Monarch Airlines refund

FCD
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for a return flight on Monarch via Paypal on 3rd Jan 2017.  As it is over 180 days am I unable to make a claim?  I cannot get through to anyone in Customer Services to ask as the automated system does not cover this query.

Login to Me Too
90 REPLIES 90

Jaywo79
New Community Member
Same problem. Booked in Feb so over 180 days. Used PayPal Credit so not credit card.
Login to Me Too

KMMCKENNA
Contributor
Contributor

You all need to rinng PayPal so they can escalate the dispute their end but be aware that you may be on some time. I sorted mine this morning but was on an hour. When you ring don't go through all the automation, say 'I want to speak to an advisor' and you will be put through to a human. Also bear in mind that you need to have paid 180 days ago or less.  I've been told that I will have a refund by 13th October.

Login to Me Too

DanT1
Contributor
Contributor
Having got through to an advisor at PayPal, I was been told that they will be ‘looking after’ customers who booked after Dec 2016. And to file a dispute. I did this and it was automatically closed also due to the purchase being more than 180 days ago. So I have emailed customer service to ask what will happen. Will update when they reply.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DanT1

You only have up to 180 days to open a paypal dispute, after that you are unfortunately on your own.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DanT1
Contributor
Contributor

Quote from the BBC website:

"Paypal has its own buyer protection programme, to cover consumers when they do not receive the goods or services they have paid for. However in normal circumstances there is a 180-day deadline from the payment date to claim for this. This suggests that anyone who bought their tickets more than six months ago may not be able to get a refund.

However Paypal said it would take the specific circumstances of Monarch's collapse into account. It expects most people to get their money back."

Looks promising

Login to Me Too

PaddyB1
Contributor
Contributor
I booked my flights in march, so opened a dispute but it has been closed because its over 180 days. Help what do I do next?
Login to Me Too

kenw23
Contributor
Contributor

I too have just been told that my case will not be refunded by Monarch, as it is over the 180 day cut off.  That's now a MAJOR turn off to me using Paypal again for booking next year's holiday flights...

I think that their response is frankly shabby.  I hope they reconsider their stance. 

Login to Me Too

Niladawn
Contributor
Contributor
I said that to the woman in phone that if they do not honour this then they will lose lots of business. I wont be paying for flights through paypal again. It annoys me because I only used paypal cos I cdnt be bothered to go and get my credit card!!😈😈
Login to Me Too

kenw23
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure in my case the credit card option would have helped, as each ticket was less than the required £100 to 'qualify' (even though the total spend was over £100)...

Login to Me Too

wrb1
Contributor
Contributor

I can't get past the robot.

what number did you ring?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.